Jan 1, 2013 · 10:00 AM
This location is shown only to members
7 miles Appx gain of 800 ft.
This hike has everything: Ocean views, waterfalls, 2 swimming lakes, ponds and ocean beach swimming when it's warm enough or you are crazy enough! It also has lots of poison ivy on the section out to the falls....make sure you can cover up for this overgrown section of the trail!!! Be aware that we may not be able to go down to the beach. The rope is gone and the route has gotten very tricky! We'll have to check it out and see. Please be aware to get down to where we have lunch you need to shimmy through a narrow eroded steep down section. Make sure you feel comfortable with a short tricky section.
TRAIL DESCRIPTION By Bahiker.com http://www.bahiker.com/northbayhikes/palomarin.html
DIRECTIONS TO TRAILHEAD: Take D st. (which becomes Pt Reyes-Petaluma Rd) from Petaluma and travel 11 miles. Stay straight on Platform Bridge Rd for 2.4 miles and then take a right on Sr. Francis Drake Blvd for just under 2 miles. Turn left on Hwy 1 for 9.1 miles where you will take a right on Olema Bolinas Rd. Continue on Olema Bolinas rd for a little under 2 miles where you will make a right on Mesa Rd. Follow all the way to the end. The road will dead end at the parking lot for the Palomarin Trailhead. If you reach the center of town you need to turn around and head back the way you came because you missed the right hand turn to Mesa Rd...as you return it will be on your left.
Distance: Estimated to be 8-9 miles
Elevation Gain: Est. 550ft.
FOR car pools ...we have a change. Please document your car pool info in your RSVP comments NOT the general comments below. That will eliminate many msgs to the hike attendees. Car pool etiquette- Come prepared to drive, be aware that there may be no others wanting to car pool from your selected location or there might be a lot of people and everyone might want to ride. We determine who gets the rider seats by who has most recently been a driver in the past. This is worked out based by who shows up at the car pool location. We can't guarantee anyone a seat because we never know until that day who will show up. We do our best to work it out and make everyone happy but we need everyone to pitch in and help make it work!
Then PLEASE if possible try to use the two locations below. The more locations we have the less effective we are and it's so much more complicated. Exceptions would be if you are not close to either location.
I have confirmed that Bovine Bakery will be open on New Year's Day. :))
Car pool locations:
Coddingtown Library parking lot will leave at 8:00 for Bovine Bakery stop.
Petaluma-Lucky at the intersection of Lakeville and Caulfield Ln. Park closest to Payran St. suggested leave by 8:45 (earlier if making Bovine bakery stop)
General room of thumb...$5 one hour or less to trailhead $8 over one hour to trailhead Please insist your driver accept the money. It's to cover more than gas money...it's the wear and tear on the vehicle. We like to take care of our drivers!
- We combine enjoyment of the trail with respect for everyone’s time. Slow and steady and we just keep going! If you are a fast hiker, you will be asked to periodically wait for the group. If you are finding that you are lagging behind, you will be asked to focus your energy on keeping up the best you can ...forgoing picture taking, dancing and scat identification. We also move along as soon as all lagging members are in close visual sight. Please make sure this is something you will enjoy!
- Please always check your email the night before just in case there are any necessary adjustments or cancellations.
- Give yourself time to find the trailhead so that you arrive prior to the scheduled time. That is the time we head out on the trail. It would be disappointing to miss having you on the hike due to late arrival.
- Wear comfortable hiking shoes with good rugged soles that are well broken in.
- Duration: 4-5 hours
- Facilities: At the trailhead
- Dogs?: None allowed
- Bring plenty of water. More than one bottle is a must for this hike.
- Dress in layers. The hike starts off cool but you will warm up.
- Bring a lunch. We always have a break above the falls.
- Bring your smile and great attitude! Once again....this is not about finishing the hike in record time...it's about enjoying ourselves and the outdoors!
See you on the trail!