The purpose of the group is to carve out regular time to write and also get feedback in a safe & supportive environment. Our goal is to support the development of professional women (and female identifying) writers, or those aspiring to a professional job in writing for tv & film. This includes comedic and dramatic writers. We especially encourage under represented minorities to attend!
We will start with an open writing session for the first 45 minutes. Then, If you wish to reserve a 7-minute window to have your script pages read, or get feedback, suggestions or ideas on something you're working on, you must comment on our Meetup.com page. There will be enough time for the first 8 people, so the list will be created according to who were the first 8 people to comment. The moderator reserves the right to make executive decisions as the need arises.
Any member who would like to have their script pages read aloud, should ahead of our meeting, deposit their 1-5 page original script into their Google Drive folder in PDF format. Writers may ask attendees to read a character, as there is great benefit to hearing your work read aloud. If time allows, readings may be followed by open critique and should be geared toward helping writers improve their work. Bring an open mind, and be respectful of your peers.
Please give our organizer, Shannon, an email address so she can share the Google Drive folder with you. If possible, please also bring a laptop or tablet to the Meetup to reach the scripts on.
Note the following changes to the structure of the meetups:
1. We will begin with meeting once a month and plan on increasing this to 2x per month as needed by attendees.
2. We will set individual goals quarterly in writing and will hold you accountable for making progress towards your goal even if you don’t bring pages in on a given week.
3. We will start promptly at 6pm with open writing. Please make every effort to be on time.
4. Because our meeting time is limited, we can not tolerate computer issues during the meetups. You can share with your neighbor if you run into problems. Please ensure that your computer works properly before you come to the meetup and arrive with it fully charged.
5. We will plan for 8 script reading/feedback spots per meetup, with 1-2 writers on standby. Reserve your reading spot on the Meetup.com page ahead of time when you RSVP. If you reserve a spot and then don’t cancel within 24 hours you will receive a warning. The second time you do it, you will only be able to go on standby for a reading spot for the next meeting.
6. First meetings will be free to attend (or with an in-kind donation if you so choose). After that, each meeting will cost $5 as we need to pay for the use of the room and also liability insurance to cover our group.