Lunch Ride to The Rod & Gun Club - Everglades City

Everglades Rod & Gun Club

200 W Broadway · Everglades City, FL

How to find us

Shell 4-Points 7:45am - NW corner Boynton Bch Blvd & 441

Location image of event venue

Details

* MeetUp @ Shell 4-Points 7:45am - NW corner Boynton Bch Blvd & 441
* Bring Sunpass
* Pre-ride meeting 8:20am
* Kickstands Up 8:30AM.

The Rod & Gun Club, reminiscent of Old Florida and a throwback to simpler times, has been visited by at least five U.S. presidents and by famous actors, writers and musicians — from Burl Ives to Ernest Hemingway to Mick Jagger.

The historic property has been a filming location for several movies, including "Just Cause" and "Winds Across the Everglades." The club's history dates to the 1870s, when William Smith Allen, Everglades City's founder and the area's first permanent white settler, built a house along what's now known as the Barron River. The house laid the foundation for what would become the Rod and Gun Club.

After Allen retired and moved to Key West in 1889, George Storter Jr. bought the property, enlarged the house and entertained northern tourists who came to the Everglades by yacht to hunt and fish. In 1922, Barron Collier, an advertising mogul and the founder of Collier County, purchased much of Southwest Florida, including Storter's property, which he converted into the private Rod and Gun Club. He hosted international dignitaries and several U.S. presidents. He hired a famous chef and a skilled fishing guide to help lure guests.

"The property started as a homestead and over the years has become kind of an iconic building, really coming into its own when Barron Collier owned the property. It served as a place for entertaining his prestigious guests when they came to the area," said Robert Carroll, a broker-associate at Investment Properties Corp. In 1972 the Bowen family from Michigan bought the club, and they continue to operate it as a restaurant and a hotel.