We have a constructive criticism meeting biweekly. Members will submit files to our meetup website and we will read and prepare criticism for each work ahead of time to limit the need for printing. Critique should be designed to fit within an approximately three minute time limit to allow for everyone's work to be discussed by everyone present.
PARKING -Two hour validation with any purchase, the entrance is on 43rd Avenue South, or there is street parking available also. TRANSIT - The cafe is located by the Othello light rail station, and is well served by both bus and light rail.
- Upload work you want critiqued to the Files area by Thursday at midnight before the meetup. Note, we only accept up to the first 6 prose submissions. The submission guidelines for our group are on our discussion board.
- The first 15 minutes of the meetup are dedicated to socializing and ordering tasty treats. We may then wish do a writing warmup, i.e. an exercise from Holly Lisle's book How To Think Sideways: Career Survival School for Writers
- Then we take turns going through all the submissions. What does this mean? ... Well, whether you've uploaded something to be critiqued OR are just coming for community, look at what others have uploaded, under MORE> Files list. Download as many as you think you can read before our next meetup. If you can offer concrete helpful critique, PRINT OUT the file OR use track changes in Word and markup the submission with your suggestions. That way after the meetup, you can hand the paper to the author or email them your edited copy of their file. Remember that your fellow authors have feelings just like you do.Be polite, but frank. Avoid "Toxic Feedback" as a rule. For a more in depth guide on how we talk to each other at our meetups, please go to our discussion tips.
- After the submissions discussions and if we have time, we'll go on and on about writing related topics- publishing, story ideas, recommendations, etc.
- Hopefully everything will be wrapped up within two hours.