addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Southern NH Ukulele Group (SNHUG) Message Board › Open Mic ???

Open Mic ???

Arthur (Art) M.
user 68871892
Methuen, MA
Post #: 27
Open Mic
This subject was addressed late last year but I haven't seen much discussion since. I was away from the group or a while but made the last two meetings and note that there a many of new members and some great talent. I'd enjoy hearing members play solo or small ensemble pieces. It would be nice to see everyone sharing your accomplishments and talents...beginners to advanced players. I enjoy listening to all levels of performance at an open mic. It's nice to see individual talent and be inspired.
There are bars, pubs, restaurants and coffee houses around that could accommodate ukulele performances but it would be nice to have a venue for just ukuleles too. Several of us were at the Grange Hall up in Lee a few weeks ago. That could be a nice place for a small ukulele open mic. I bet there are other similar venues around. Perhaps after sharing a few ukulele-specific open mics, members would be more open to performing at a venue more public and open to all instruments.
How about short open mic times at regular meetings? 2-3 performances of 5minutes or so. It would be fun to hear all the new things you've all learned and listen to all your unique favorites.
Hope to see further discussion.
Thanks
Art
Deb J.
user 31859892
Lee, NH
Post #: 72
I will look into the grange. maybe a pmac fundraiser?
Christopher C.
user 133354272
Epping, NH
Post #: 2
I would love to do this and am totally down for an open mic portion of practice. Until we get the material together and practiced for the Cd though, it seems like a bit of a waste of our time together. Everyone is so happy to see one another and chat and things, which is what I think the group is supposed to be about, that not much work gets done. Since I joined the group, we've been talking about recording the Cd, but I think no track have been recorded. If everyone disagree's with my point of view though, know that I am ready to rock at a moments notice(at least in my own mind)!
Arthur (Art) M.
user 68871892
Methuen, MA
Post #: 29
I'd like to see more social time in addition to open mics. I've seen so many new faces since I've returned. I haven't attended any of the pre-7:00 pm activities lately...is that where the meet and greets take place? I'd enjoy learning more about everyone. Perhaps a picnic potluck or similar activity sometime. Include an open mic and make it a party.
June P.
user 36911232
Rollinsford, NH
Post #: 52
Maybe we could limit open mic to those who want to try out their CD songs for group input. I know there are several people who've not yet signed on for the CD and maybe that would help them understand how it's all going to fit together. Then once the CD is done, (which won't take long once Dan gets on a streak, I'm pretty sure!) we may be able to get into more of a routine.
Arthur (Art) M.
user 68871892
Methuen, MA
Post #: 30
Group strum alongs. Whatever the special occasion...I'm sure we all assume there will be all inclusive strum-alongs. I'm looking for lots of variety .
Alex K.
user 104980032
Eliot, ME
Post #: 17
I love this idea, but let's see how everything all plays out first. We've already got commitments with certain group members to work on our chosen CD songs and record them, and a performance for senior citizens coming up after 2 more practice sessions! I think we should devote most of our time to everything coming up so we can be polished and have a sound of good quality. But after all that, let's do it! I'm in!
Arthur (Art) M.
user 68871892
Methuen, MA
Post #: 32
Sorry to be so uncooperative but we actually have several events in the relatively near future. Senior Center, Kittery, Melee, CD, Lighthouse. I'm sure there will be more over the spring and summer. Just asking for 15 minutes. If there are no classes perhaps we could start at 6:45 pm and have a 15 minute open mic. I'd love to hear you all play something extra special...beginners and advanced. Maybe get a good buddy or two to help you out. With all the future events I don't see open mics ever happening unless we make some kind of commitment. 15 minutes is not much!. wink
June P.
user 36911232
Rollinsford, NH
Post #: 53
I like the idea ... we could do open mic before practice and those who want to attend can come early or we can do it at the end of practice...maybe limit the open mic to one song per person/group... this would also be a good way for members to hear new songs they may want to perform in the future as well. We do this informally sometimes at The Press Room for people who get there early, and as a result, I can't stop playing "Remember the Music" by V. Vox for anyone who will listen, hahah!
Alex K.
user 104980032
Eliot, ME
Post #: 18
Love that idea! Please keep me posted if you decide to go forward with this.