addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Southern Sierra Hiking Club Message Board › Suggestions for newbie hikers / camper

Suggestions for newbie hikers / camper

Salina
user 51233372
Bakersfield, CA
Post #: 1
Hello!!!

I'm a newbie hiker n camper. Can anyone suggestion or give me a list of the do's/don't and what to take and what to to take while hiking/camping.

Thank you much in advance for any advise you can give.
Salina
Wayne Bernard S.
user 56425912
Fresno, CA
Post #: 1
Hello Salina. One of the most important considerations is your gear, starting with a good pair of hiking boots. Look for comfort, good tread, and high medium to high tops. Foot blisters can be a problem, so takes steps to avoid them, including breaking in new boots well in advance of a hike. I wear mine to work sometimes, it helps to break them in. On a longer hike, say over 10 miles, consider wearing 2 pairs of socks. That will reduce friction, and reduce blisters.

Perhaps the second most important thing is your plan for carrying water. It can vary from canteens, to water bottles, to backpack enclosed with drinking tube. For longer trips, some type of water filtration or purification or both may also be considered (this becomes more important at elevations below perhaps 5000 feet or where livestock is on the trail so naturally occurring water may not be so pristine).

Your other gear will depend on the trip attributes, such as season (hot or cold), day hike vs. overnight, rain or show vs. dry, and terrain (Class of hike). A small backpack or no backpack can suffice for most day hikes, the main things that you will carry on a day hike should include adequate water, snacks, and any medications that you might normally take (for me that would include ibuprofen, and anti-acid).

Short pants may be adequate for trail hiking in the summer (class 1 hikes). For cross country (class 2) consider wearing long pants. For overnight trips, you should have a sleeping bag, and some kind of light weight tent if backpacking. A heavier tent is okay if only car camping.

When you go buy gear, ask a lot of questions if you are not sure of what you need. Talk to other hikers about their choices of gear.
Salina
user 51233372
Bakersfield, CA
Post #: 2
Thank you so much for all of your advice, Wayne. They are very helpful and I have checked out some of the things you mentioned already. Now I just need to put it to good use by hiking!!!

Thank you again
Alice
user 13882390
Alpaugh, CA
Post #: 32
Salina, there are a variety of opinions on what to take on a hike, but most experts recommend the Ten Essentials. (I have linked to the REI site). Of course, these have changed over the years with technology advancements.

I seldom wear hiking boots. For me, running shoes or trail runners are much more comfortable and I don't need extra ankle support, even with a backpack. It's an individual thing. I carry a Platypus 3 liter water bladder and also a small bottle, because sometimes a bottle is more convenient. I always have extra layers of clothes, a wool cap, gloves, and some sort of rain protection depending on the weather forecast. I also carry a space blanket and a headlamp.

The best thing to do is to start participating on short hikes. Then you can observe the equipment that other hikers are carrying and ask them questions about it.