Bi-Monthly Uke Sessions: 1st and 3rd Wednesday evenings of each month. Come at 6:45 pm to tune-up and talk. We play from 7 to 9 pm. During the winter season we meet at Wilkins School Community Center, 7604 Charlston Ave., Regent Square, PA 15218. During the summer we meet at Biddle's Escape, 401 Biddle Ave., Regent Square, PA 15221.
Playlist for March 20, 2013
Warm-up: The 5-Tune Round, find it here (http://files.meetup.com/6060022/Sunnys%20Rounder%202.pdf) (Try to Memorize)
- Yes Sir, That's My Baby, page 278
- Five Foot Two, page 82 (BRING YOUR KAZOO!)
- Wayfaring Stranger, page 255
Other Tunes and Exercises
- Build Me Up, Buttercup - find it here (http://files.meetup.com/6060022/buttercup.pdf) and hear it here (http://ukulelehunt.com/2008/05/29/julianunesbuildmeupbuttercup/)
, - Mountain Sound - find it here (http://files.meetup.com/6060022/mountain%20sound.pdf)
- Don't Think Twice, It's Alright - find it here (http://files.meetup.com/6060022/Don%27t%20Think%20Twice.pdf)
- Since we had some questions about tab last session, Sunny thought for fun we could try and exercise that would allow us to practice tab, but also allow us to sound like an orchestra doing it. Don't worry if you don't want to pay tab, there are chords to play too. It will be fun! This link (http://www.iup.edu/page.aspx?id=133046) takes you to the music and description we will play which Sunny is cribbing from the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britian (UOGB) workshop some of us attended last fall. For people wanting chords or easy tab, print the CGEA Melody Tab (http://files.meetup.com/6060022/CGEA%20Melody%20Tab.pdf) or the CGEA Melody tab with Easy Chord (http://files.meetup.com/6060022/CGEA%20Melody%20Tab%20with%20Easy%20Chord.pdf). For those wanting a little more complexity, print the CGEA Countermelody Tab (http://files.meetup.com/6060022/CGEA%20Countermelody%20tab.pdf). Or you can print them all and try them as you please. You might also want to try the Melody Tab created by Jack (http://files.meetup.com/6060022/Melody%20Tab%20Ode%20To%20Joy%20Jacks%20Version.pdf).
More on Ode To Joy by UOGB. Thanks to Nancy Denhart for pointing me to these YouTube videos, here are some videos of the parts we will play:
- Melody Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFSPEcFSpk8)
- Counter Melody (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV68jonOg9k)
- One Chord Per Bar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhoKPYJ-vmA)
- Two Chords Per Bar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19FmLSbwUy0)
- All Parts Together (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCME6ys6IFU) (I'm sure that we will sound like this)
- And finally, this link (http://ukulelehunt.com/2010/02/24/intermediate-ukulele-lessons/) has a nice primer on reading tab from Sunny's favorite website, Ukulele Hunt. Please don't be put off by the label "intermediate" lessons.
- Or - you can have the whole package Right Here (http://files.meetup.com/6060022/SCU%20Playlist%20March%2020%202013.pdf)
Format: Moderator leads each session, warming up with old favorite tunes. A suggested playlist with old and new tunes is posted prior to each session. After we play and make announcements, we jam "song-circle" style. The setting is friendly and informal with no commitment required - just bring your uke and join us. We encourage solo play for advanced players.
Music: Our text is "The Daily Ukulele, 365 Tunes." We also use tunes from websites, such as Dr. Uke. If you would like to introduce a new song to the group, please bring a minimum of 20 copies to pass out.