addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Suncoast Audiophile Society Message Board Main discussion area (visible to non-members) › Comments/Suggestions about SAS and/or Meetup.

Comments/Suggestions about SAS and/or Meetup.

Alan N
user 13931748
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 3
We welcome all former TBLS members to our newly renamed club... Suncoast Audiophile Society, and our expanding geographic reach on Meetup. Please let us know what you think about the changes, and share your ideas for future meeting venues, meeting themes, club direction, and membership perks.
Alan N
user 13931748
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 8
We're still looking for PUBLIC venue for QUARTERLY meetings. Unfortunately, the Carrollwood Cultural Center did not pan out, but the North Tampa Branch Library has potential. If anybody has other suggestions, or would like to take charge of this task, please let us know.
Philip R.
inline_phil
Brooksville, FL
Post #: 31
Here's a thought: what about creating a SAS club CLOUD and store music for members only?

This may be a great way to expand your listening pleasure.
Alan N
user 13931748
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 291
Here's a thought: what about creating a SAS club CLOUD and store music for members only?

Interesting idea Phil. Is there a specific (and legal) music sharing website you can recommend? I mainly use local streaming and Pandora, so am not familiar with cloud based sites.
Philip R.
inline_phil
Brooksville, FL
Post #: 35

Interesting idea Phil. Is there a specific (and legal) music sharing website you can recommend? I mainly use local streaming and Pandora, so am not familiar with cloud based sites.

Because of the filesizes, we would have to implement our own multi-terrabyte server, nothing out of the realm of possibility from the club dues. A good FIOS subscription, a hosted domain and annual subscription, and a dedicated server in someone's home is all that it would need hardware wise.

Copyrights get fuzzy with club memberships; think of shared subscriptions on club magazines or music played in rented movies. Not sure of the legality issue but it may fall into the realm of "background misic" like that in elevators, resteraunts, and calls on hold. As long as we pay for what we want to listen to, there shouldn't be an issue in sharing content like loaning a CD to your friend. I wonder how Pandora does this? Anyone familiar with copyright law that could contribute here?

It would be great to have access to every recording any of the club members choose to share from their own collections. The thought is tantilizing! But juist a thought.

Mike K
user 14121317
Tampa, FL
Post #: 80
I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV....but I believe....

Sharing music (allowing it to be streamed) may not be as much an issue as allowing copies to be made...THAT is most assuredly a no-no.

I am not sure how someone would allow one, but not the other.

I do know that you cannot simply broadcast the radio legally, you must buy ASCAP and BMI licenses to play music to the public.
Peter S.
user 14363267
Plant City, FL
Post #: 1
Another Club/Association which I am a member has a box full of books/goodies which members can sign out. KISS.

A half decent copy of a CD that belongs to a member can sit in a box so that if anyone wants to take it she can, she can/would replace it with another from her collection. Rather like the way WMNF throws away CDs.
Members could list their "best" music and publish titles and owners' names in a list that SAS maintains. Members could request a copy.This is a private loan? between two members.
The main function of this list would give members the opportunity to critique his music.
Alan N
user 13931748
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 481
I think it's fine for members to loan one another tracks for demo/critiquing purposes, but it would be illegal to COPY or DISTRIBUTE (via cloud) without paying appropriate licensing fees.

For those interested in sharing information about new artists/albums you like, we encourage you to post in our "What's Spinning or Streaming" thread (ideally including a link for Amazon or another retailer) here... http://www.meetup.com...­
A. Colin F.
Acolin
Bradenton, FL
Post #: 376
We could sell our copies for a penny apeice...

Music torrents already exist and they are not illegal in this country. The best music torrents: http://netforbeginner...­

We could have a music selling session with everybody bringing their flash drives, laptops and surge protectors...

A. Colin F.
Acolin
Bradenton, FL
Post #: 377
Potential Topics for Future SAS Meetings

1. Equipment swaps, swaps and more swaps:

a. Sources
b. DACs
c. Cartridges, tone arms & turntables
d. Phone stages
e. Vibration Isolation Platforms
f. Pre-amplifiers
g. Amplifiers
h. Interconnect patch cords (the one you did Alan with the blind testing and the review sheet was great!)
i. Speaker cables
j. Power cords
k. Headphones and their amplifiers
l. Bookshelf loudspeakers, etc. (three different pieces times five music samples equals 15 tests.)

2. Panel of two or three members discussing:

a. Speaker design and construction
b. Classes of amplifiers and their topology (what that means for audiophiles with samples)
c. Differences between tubes
d. Bi and tri-amplification
e. Computer audio
f. High-end system designs and installations
g. Sub design, construction and integration
h. Cross-over design
i. Driver design and construction
j. Measuring room modes and acoustic treatments (somebody bring three or more RealTraps?)
k. Tape machines
l. Accessories and tweaks

3. Any one of Phil’s eBook subjects!
4. Visit to VTL amplifiers in Sarasota
5. Joint meetings with Sarasota club
6. Visit to high-end audio store
7. Live music concert with dinner meeting
8. Frankensystem at Audio Itch (he has a listening, if he will have us)
9. Meeting at a high-end dealership
10. Speaker from local Acoustiblock soundproofing
11. Record live music at meeting and play it back on owner’s system
12. If owner is brave – round table discussion on what listener would do to improve owner’s system
13. Jam session with everybody playing some, any, instrument (Mike K’s?)

14. Help sponsor joint appearance of author Jim Smith (“Get Better Sound”) at Audio Show with the Audio Show