addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Alan N
user 13931748
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 17
If you are interested in hosting a future SAS meeting, please add your name (and preferred month, if any) to the list. We also plan to find a semi-permanent public venue for holding quarterly meetings and/or live music events. If you would like to head up the "public venue hunt" please let us know.

Prospective future hosts include...
Craig- ?
Bart- possibly Nov
Michael L (to repeat at a later date)

We also need to start thinking about our annual Holiday Party in Dec. If somebody wants to take charge of the planning, please let us know!
A former member
Post #: 1
The main PUBLIC venue is a no brainer... Once we have a "need" for this, I will "pony up the venue" in the Tampa area or at minimum, our plant here in Brooksville.

It just seems to me right now its not needed. Not enough perps would attend out of our current members list to warrant setting it up. However, when the time comes, I will be ready within a 60 day notice on it regardless of where it will be.

I have to disagree. Historically, some of our biggest and well attended events have occurred at our former default "club house." A set location where we can schedule several long term pre-planned and pre-scheduled meetings per year would prove invaluable to hosting guest speakers, manufacturers (or their reps), musician demos and discussions and multiple equipment shoot-outs - all of which have been planned and hosted in our old public meeting venue.

While John S and I have hosted several home concerts, the norm for in-home meetings remains a social meeting event, not an ideal or conducive environment for those other activities listed above.
Alan N
user 13931748
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 145
With our recent growth in club membership and meeting attendance, it's time to start looking into other meeting venue options, or alternatively, limiting residential attendance to a number the host can comfortably accommodate. The problem with a generic public meeting place (library, community center, empty warehouse, etc) would obviously be the lack of gear, appropriate acoustics, and food/kitchen amenities, not to mention cost. Perhaps we should consider a larger public venue for quarterly meetings to accommodate such things as a swap-meet, live music, our annual holiday party, and/or cobbling together an occasional "potluck" listening session with some spare speakers and other gear.

Ideas/suggestions anyone?
A. Colin F.
Acolin
Bradenton, FL
Post #: 120

Really? Has the size prevented any meetings? Has it been too crowded at any meetings? I sure didn't think so. John, you, Charlie, George, Mike; all seemed to have enough space...
Alan N
user 13931748
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 472
We should be able to accommodate hosts regardless of their listening room/setup/home size. We can always "rotate" people through the room even if they can only accommodate 4-5 listeners at a time, as long as there is another adjacent room for the usual audiophile chatting and feeding frenzy!
A. Colin F.
Acolin
Bradenton, FL
Post #: 317
how about waiving annual fee for hosts as a small incentive?
Alan N
user 13931748
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 474
how about waiving annual fee for hosts as a small incentive?

That idea has previously been proposed, but we're already subsidizing hosts (often > $50) to defray the cost of food/beverages. We'll do more number-crunching by years end and look at all our options. Keep those suggestions coming!
Alan N
user 13931748
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 483
For upcoming 2013 meetings, thus far we have...
Jan (1/19/13)- Mike Knapp
Feb- Brad Rockwood
Mar- George Lindsay
Apr- John Santamaria
May- Zoran Kersting
June- Tom Burdell
July- Joel Scilley (proprietor of Audiowood), at Florida Craftsmen Gallery
Russ G.
user 13947780
Sarasota, FL
Post #: 25
I plan to call Mytek next week to see if they will honor their promise to send us a DAC for review. I would like to host an additional meeting in late June (I believe we're already scheduled to go to Tom's in June) to compare this unit to other DACs - I can ask to see if they will let us keep it for July. Since my new house is small, I propose back-to-back meetings over two days, one for the Sarasota group and the other for SAS.
Let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Russ
Alan N
user 13931748
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 603
Sounds good, Russ. Keep us posted, and we'll plan accordingly. I don't think we'll have any problems coming up with a handful of DAC's for another "shootout"!