15402 US Hwy. 301 N, Thonotosassa, FL
• Stone Soup.... Highlight Annual Suncoast Chapter FTA event which pre dates hiking days for many of us with the Suncoast Chapter- a great tradition which brings out many of the "old school" FTA members whom we have had the opportunity to meet and become friends with in the past few years....
• Stone Soup... A wonderful old folk tale which is the basis for our tradition, teaching us a lesson in cooperation in the midst of scarcity... http://vimeo.com/8671479
• Stone Soup.... alot of fun! great soup! great camping! hiking! hanging around with friends and making new ones!! Doing some work for the park and ALL their annual visitors...
•We are camping in the Youth group site Friday and Saturday night - (Thursday available for those who wish to come a day early and enjoy the park), This site has flush toilets, potable water, no hot showers. Tents only.. Walk in site, or drop off gear, and park car in outer parking lot.
CAMPING FEES $5.00 PER PERSON PER NIGHT. $1.00 PER NIGHT UNDER AGE 18
RV's can reserve on their own in family campground..
We usually have some kind of Friday pot luck..... Campfire and chatting!!
SATURDAY MORNING! There will be two hikes leaving from the main pavilion.
• We are planning a maintenance service project with the park and will provide more details as they become available.
• 7.5 mile Dead River Loop hike. Leave at 8:30 am Lenny Chew leading
• Saturday night hike led by Tracy Hyde
• Those doing soup and kitchen prep will have to forego hiking and service project. Please communicate directly with Alan and Sherry regarding needs in this area.
Per ALAN BAILEY... our soup chef supreme...
FOR THE SOUP.... WHAT TO BRING, NOT TO BRING AND WHEN.
1. Fresh, completely de boned, uncooked meats only, cut into 1" squares. No whole poultry. Absolutely no leftover cooked meat dishes sitting around your freezer. We will have one vegetarian pot and one with meat.
2. LOTS of fresh vegetables - should be washed, rinsed, peeled/trimmed as needed, then cut up. These must be there by 11:am but can be dropped off earlier.
3. If bringing fresh meats, dried beans or other items requiring long cooking times, you must bring them to our pavilion before the start of the hikes which will be 9:am. Dried beans must be washed and pre soaked overnight. Alan will be there with a cooler to receive them from you.
4. Bring your own soup bowl /cup / utensils.
5. Take out containers if you want to bring home leftover soup
Preppers bring cutting board and kitchen knife. You will have to forgo participating in the hike or work project to help on the prep part.
Please bring a dish to pass
Soup will be served with our meeting conducted as soon as all have had initial serving and are seated.
• Annual FTA fundraising auction...IMPORTANT! Bring your never or seldom used camp gear, other usable outdoor items... or any interesting curios in good condition for our annual auction...All funds raised go to Suncoast chapter and will be used for trail maintenance, equipment repair, etc.
We will be taking cash donations as well if you don't find something you want to buy
PLEASE SUPPORT OUR LOCAL OUTFITTERS AND OTHERS WHO HELP SPONSOR THE SUNCOAST CHAPTER! Links are on the left of this page
Sunday morning breakfast for all who want to join in--bring something if you want to to go with the eggs, hash browns and bread and butter. Sue Bunge in charge of Sunday breakfast....
June 17, 2014 - Hillsborough River State Park, near the group campsite.... Remember... for the soup, all meats completely de boned and cut into cubes....no heads or rattles please.....
photos and commentary from last years
We are outdoor people: biking, kayaking, hiking, camping. This group looks like a good fit.
"The greatest adventure is what lies ahead"
Let me outside please!
I enjoy outdoor activities.
Just love being out there!
Kayak, bike, hike...
My interests include hiking, cycling, kayaking, and tennis.
I escape to the woods whenever I can. I am an avid hiker/camper.
Adventure On !
I am amazed at the natural beauty of the Suncoast area, especially for hiking and backpacking.
love the outdoors..paddle hike, camp
Hi, I like to be out side hiking, photographing wild life, camping F.T.A member