On March 2, 2019, a bunch of us curiosity seekers from Suncoast ventured up to Live Oak to check out IDIDAHIKE 2019. We had never been to one as a chapter event.
This event had been sponsored for over a decade by the North Florida Trail Blazers (NFTB) chapter of the FTA.
We came home from this event with something we did not have on the radar screen....we agreed to sponsor the event in 2020.
There will be a $20.00 fee to participate, one or both days...payable day of event. It is a fundraiser to benefit the Florida Trail Association, and its mission to maintain, and complete the Florida National Scenic Trail.
This fee does not include, camping, meals or other miscellaneous items.
This event will be modeled after our successful FTA 50th anniversary hiking fest in 2016 where we had around 90 participants. The idea will be to offer a "buffet" of hikes that you can participate in over 2 days. Longest hike will be 8 miles.
The North Florida Trailblazers are passing the baton after sponsoring this event for eleven consecutive years!
• ENTIRE CAMPGROUND HAS BEEN TAKEN FOR THIS EVENT..MORE INFO ABOUT MAKING A CAMPING RESERVATION TO COME, MINIMUM FRIDAY AND SATURDAY NIGHT STAY OPTIONAL THURSDAY NIGHT STAY AVAILABLE
• HIKES…NUMEROUS HIKES INCLUDING:
• Lizzie Hart Sink and Gorge - 8 mile - 3.5 hours (carpool 10 minutes)
Description: Most popular hike at Citrus. Once you know it you will want to share with friends. Enough hills to make it fun. Different habitats. Haven't been here before? This is the hike to sign up for. Possible 3.5 or 4.0 mile Lizzie Hart Option
• Dames Cave/Peace Cave - 7 miles - 3.5 - 4 hours (leave from campground)
• Get your flashlight out and prepare to get your knees dirty. Dames Cave - climb down into it and crawl into a side chamber. Explore the surrounding small adjoining sinks. PEACE CAVE ('IF" FORESTRY HAS IT OPEN.) You have to be agile enough to climb/drop into it. It's not for everyone. There have been safety issues at Peace Cave in the past. Limited to 5 - 10 minutes.
• Radar Hill (bushwhacking)- approx. 6 miles - 3.5 hours (carpool 10 minutes)
Description: Every day, every week, every month. Same ol' same ol'. Now, throw convention out the window - this is the 'Salvador Dali' hike of the Withlacoochee. No set trail, bushwhacking, knee to chest high grasses, footing can be rough, unseen divots. Hiking along side of hills. Hiking stick highly recommended.
• Exceptional Taste of Citrus hiking - 2 miles -1 hour (carpool 15 minutes/hard packed dirt)
Description:Haven't hiked in a while? This hike will reawaken that fantastic feeling of being in the forest. You will know you are not in a city park. The route is on the orange blazed Florida National Scenic Trail.
• FOOD.. Meals Friday night, Saturday mid day and Sunday breakfast! Menu TBD
Please note: NO DOGS ALLOWED as this is an equestrian park
More to follow......