addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Twin Cities Disc Golf Meetup Message Board Gear › Anyone own a Whippet? - Overhand shots...

Anyone own a Whippet? - Overhand shots...

Jonathan
user 8199508
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 15
I've only been able to successfully throw overhand shots with my beat to crap, very understable First-Run XS.

After reading some posts on Disc Golf Review, it seems most people throw super overstable discs for their thumbers and tomahawks. It also seems that they're split into two categories. Huge arms throw XXX's and other high power discs, and other players throw something like a Firebird.

According to Joe's flight chart, the Whippet looks like a combination of the two. HSS comparable to the XXX, LSS comparable to the Firebird, and a power rating lower than both.

As I won't be finding another beat up First-Run XS anytime soon, I'd like to search for a new overhand disc before mine disappears into the woods. It'd also be nice to retire the XS up on the wall as it's the disc that I threw both my aces with =)

If anybody has any of the aforementioned discs that I could try out some day, or if you have any tips, let me know!
Jonathan
user 8199508
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 17
Tossed my useless Pro Destroyer with a thumber today. It turned over consistently...nice and slow, but it just didn't feel right for some reason. I'll have to try it on a shot that I usually overhand (Garlough #3, Hansen #7) to see how it works out. I just sort of tossed it in a field today.

I'd still like to try something lower powered though...throwing that Destroyer feels like chucking a small boulder into the river.
A former member
Post #: 1
so my $.02

i started throwing the firebird for my thumbers and tommies (2 finger tomahawk) i have sinced changed several times. the firebird that i had was over stable not so much as a flick though. and i forget the weight. I used to throw forehand/sidearm all the time and when i started doing tommies my fingers would feel real raw afterwards so i switched to thumbers. different line of flight, i know, but to me thumbers felt like a stronger and better grip. well after i switched i found myself a nice very overstable champion beast with high(er) weight...175?

what a beast? really? yeah. well i lost that particular beast and switched to throwing a heavy flick as my go to thumber disc. the flick is a relatively common disc others i have met like to throw for thumbers and tommies. also the venom has been mentioned in conversations. i tried the venom it was ok. but it wasn't, to me, better than the flick or my old champion beast for overhand thumbers and tommies.

i have since acquired two more heavy overstable champion beasts to use as my thumber/tommy discs only. that's my choice on a long distance overhand throw. now i do throw a lighter flick...164? for a shorter thumber throw or a recovery shot from the woods. it likes to flip over a little faster than the heavier disc.

the epic. a messed up disc which when thrown overhand flips completely over to its normal flying attitude, that is right side up, and glides down a "normal" disc flight path giving you uber distance. i've only thrown the epic a few times i can't say i really love it or hate it. i need to do some more research.

but all in all, no two discs will fly the same. i like the way my discs fly and that's why i throw them that way. if you like the way one disc flies better than another, throw that disc. whatever floats your boat.

p.s. if you want i can give a personal lesson on the timmay throws his thumbers. just let me know.
Jonathan
user 8199508
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 19
Thanks for the input. I guess I'll just have to start borrowing everyone's discs and throwing them into the field =)

Some tips on overhand shots would be appreciated. I find them very useful on several key holes around the cities, and recovery shots. I'm just not sure how people manage to throw them as far as they do. If I guessed, I'd say I can only throw them about 140ft, maybe less. It works for the shots I use them on, but pushing that number up might allow for some interesting shots.
A former member
Post #: 2
"...can only throw them about 140ft..." hmmmm i'd say my max if i get really into the throw averages around 300ft consistently.

i'd also like to point out that i really decided to expand my thumber throws specifically for uphill shots. that is every third shot at hyland. i did that because i cant throw uphill worth a damn backhand, hyzer or anhyzer.

i drive with a thumber at hyland on holes 1, used to on 3, 4, thought about it on 8, 10, 13,14 first and second throws, 15, and 17. needless to say it works pretty good for me.

"...start borrowing everyone's discs and throwing them into the field =)"

FIELD PRACTICE!!! WOOT!