addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Twin Cities Disc Golf Meetup Message Board Gear › Beginners Disc Set?

Beginners Disc Set?

Robert
rseliski
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 1
Greetings fellow Disc'ers!biggrin

So I'm new to the whole golf disc world and I've been borrowing my friend's disc whenever we go play, but I think I'm hooked enough now to get my own set. So I glimpsed through a few forums and the rule book, but was unable to find out 'equipment limitations'. Being an normal golfer I know you can only carry so many clubs and was wondering if golf disc had the same rule?

Also what I'm looking for is just a list of the types of disc and anything else I should need. Like Balanced/Unbalanced Discs (From what I've read, since I'm a beginner I want under-balanced discs?), how many of each type, any brands better than the other, etc...

Thanks for your time,

BobDawg
Maximillian A.
user 9285078
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 6
This is a decent beginners setup, I think:

http://gottagogottath...­

That set has a driver, a mid-range disc and an approach/putter. Another good thing to do is to just go to that store (Gotta Go Gotta Throw) and tell the clerks there that you're new and how much you're looking to spend. They're extremely helpful there and will direct you to some good entry level discs.

Good luck!
Robert
rseliski
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 2
Why thank you sir! I was kinda eye'ing at that one but not to sure, and for that price it seems reasonable... Looks like I have to do some shopping this weekend!

Thanks again!
Jonathan
user 8199508
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 18
Good suggestion Max, that's a great setup for a good price.

If I had anything to add, I would say leave the driver at home for awhile. It'll be harder to control than the midrange disc, and you'll probably get about the same distance out of the Shark anyways. After you're comfortable throwing your midrange with some accuracy and consistency (probably somewhere between 125-200ft), then start working with the driver on some nice open fairways.

Hope to see you out there soon.
A former member
Post #: 13
I agree with what has been said. Learn your midrange and putter and then work up to your driver. More discs isn't always better, unless you can control each one and get it to fly on the flight path you want it to every time. Start with a few.

For sure, stop in at GGGT in Golden Valley or at Fairway Flyerz in Roseville on Rice. Either shop has knowledgeable people that will help you select the best discs for you and in your price range. They know the plastic very well!

Back to work for me... funny... I'm working on a disc golf course today... building a bridge and other fun stuff! Yay. Best of luck!