addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

HOUSTONxSHAKERS (Lover of TED Talks) Message Board › Design for contentment and happiness

Design for contentment and happiness

Eldho K.
EVK33
Houston, TX
Post #: 8
Awesome article on design, what motivates it, and what it is trying to solve.
http://www.core77.com...­

Curious to hear your feedback.
Judy C.
jichang79
Group Organizer
Houston, TX
Post #: 21
Awesome article on design, what motivates it, and what it is trying to solve.
http://www.core77.com...­

Curious to hear your feedback.

So this article actually reminds me of this TED talk: Timothy Prestero: Design for people, not awards. The underlying question is what we can do for everyone, and not just everyone that have expendable money. Which brings to me to my big idea:

What do you all think about doing a project together? Ok, I know that this may be a little premature since we are just starting to get to know each other. However, I think the three date rule is a little overrated. I have a couple of projects in mind that some of the members and I have been talking about:

Project: Farmer's Market in 3rd - 6th Ward Houston, TX
We can work on a plan to beautify that area, help them become self sustainable in food, teach them nutrition, and in turn have them take ownership and pride in their neighborhood. There will be a lot more details, of course, to hash out. However, if this is something that ya'll are interested in doing with me, let's start to crowdsource now, and put our limited efforts into something that may turn out to be something beneficial for others. It may not work, but at least it will be the first steps of the TShakes. So______ motivated?
Michelle
user 56366532
Chicago, IL
Post #: 1
I'm in.
Eldho K.
EVK33
Houston, TX
Post #: 9
I will YES AND that Idea.. which is basically saying, Yes, AND, wouldn't it be interesting to wrap in elements of the history of the wards --

http://houstonhistory...­

More generally, I get the sense that Design for people is about helping them and us strengthen the sense of identity, belonging and connectedness. Designing for awards on the other hand makes people feel deprivation and desire for something they don't have -- designing for people helps them discover their inherent wholeness, self-worth, self-acceptance and celebration of where they have come from - thereby become creative in their own way.
A former member
Post #: 27
sounds interesting, what other projects were you thinking of? Urban Harvest seems to already be doing the farmers market/community gardening thing throughout Houston, including those wards (unless I completely misunderstood what you were planning)

So this article actually reminds me of this TED talk: Timothy Prestero: Design for people, not awards. The underlying question is what we can do for everyone, and not just everyone that have expendable money. Which brings to me to my big idea:

What do you all think about doing a project together? Ok, I know that this may be a little premature since we are just starting to get to know each other. However, I think the three date rule is a little overrated. I have a couple of projects in mind that some of the members and I have been talking about:

Project: Farmer's Market in 3rd - 6th Ward Houston, TX
We can work on a plan to beautify that area, help them become self sustainable in food, teach them nutrition, and in turn have them take ownership and pride in their neighborhood. There will be a lot more details, of course, to hash out. However, if this is something that ya'll are interested in doing with me, let's start to crowdsource now, and put our limited efforts into something that may turn out to be something beneficial for others. It may not work, but at least it will be the first steps of the TShakes. So______ motivated?

Sumit
user 36722042
Houston, TX
Post #: 4
I am in girl....let us see what Urban Harvest is doing vs. what we want to do.

But...we need to do something.
A former member
Post #: 3
Hmm...Having built my own raised garden in the backyard, then having everything drop dead in last summer's drought...and/or get subsumed in a sea of poison ivy...well, all except the walking onion...

What I've thought about doing at my own house is...well...illegal.
Graywater recycling: to wit, running the bathtub output into a large gardening bed.
I forget to water, but I can't exactly forget hygiene...
That's a solution for me, BUT...

I'm afraid the city would actually care about this, whereas the county? meh.

I'm more than a *bit* burnt on gardening...:p
But I made my garden beds out of found materials.
Basically, I took two pallets, crudely sawed them into halves, screwed the halves together, then stuffed layers of scavenged cardboard into the pallets and covered the grass with it. (You need a LOT of cardboard!)
So, free raised-bed materials...

I *think*....that 55-gallon soda-syrup drums, bought in bulk, filled with (hopefully!) donated dirt, and with small holes cut in the sides for the plants to grow out of...could be a sort of "salad tree.," producing enough greens to supplement one person's diet with fresh herbs/greens/tomatoes.
Wonder if it could be sold at cost.
Just run a garden hose into it and remember to water?
And such a thing would be good in small spaces.

I dunno, I'm better at working with people than plants.

Now that I have discovered that all parts of the kudzu vine are edible, I know what I'm going to be burying the trailer in-er growing...
I'm pretty sure I can't kill kudzu and don't need to put in work to make it live. My kind of plant.
A former member
Post #: 4
...Something completely different...

If you go into poor neighborhoods you find lots of trash.
People seem to drive there and dump things.
Specifically, dead tires is what I am thinking of...but lots of other stuff.

...If we can take illegally-dumped garbage to be found in poor neighborhoods...and figure out creative ways to turn the trash back into useful, attractive things with little to no cash outlay?

This would be a useful thing also.
Do note, tires leach, it's not really safe to grow food in them.
To reuse them they likely need a surface sealant.

I was thinking of making porch steps out of old tires...I may still make a mailbox holder with tires, dirt and ...maybe...hydrophobic concrete...

http://www.greenwala....­.

Judy C.
jichang79
Group Organizer
Houston, TX
Post #: 22
sounds interesting, what other projects were you thinking of? Urban Harvest seems to already be doing the farmers market/community gardening thing throughout Houston, including those wards (unless I completely misunderstood what you were planning)

Jen I've never heard of Urban Harvest, thanks for informing me! After checking them out, we would definitely need their advice and hopefully help! So the concept behind this goes to my friend Mike Menendez and goes to this TED Video that I watched a while back. Our goal is to have the people of the wards take ownership and to build it, cultivate it, harvest it, and sell it by themselves. Our part is to get their buy in, help build with them, and help harvest it with them. The key to this is that the community has to believe and buy into the concept. That in itself will take a lot of work and education. Do I have any idea on what I'm doing, or what I'm getting myself into...nope! But I'm a fast learner, and I rarely accept "No" as an answer.

Other ideas that I have? I literally have dozens of ideas that go through my mind daily. Some are on a grand scale, others are more attainable (at least I think they are). I've thought of coming up with a biodegradable sani wipes to give to disease prone areas to eradicate what simple hygiene would do. These are some of the reasons why the Houston Shakers came to life. Finding people that I could express my ideas to in hopes that maybe one will foster life. Or even better, finding people that have ideas bigger than my own that I could help foster to life... Romanticism at its worst I guess.
Judy C.
jichang79
Group Organizer
Houston, TX
Post #: 23
...Something completely different...

If you go into poor neighborhoods you find lots of trash.
People seem to drive there and dump things.
Specifically, dead tires is what I am thinking of...but lots of other stuff.

...If we can take illegally-dumped garbage to be found in poor neighborhoods...and figure out creative ways to turn the trash back into useful, attractive things with little to no cash outlay?

This would be a useful thing also.
Do note, tires leach, it's not really safe to grow food in them.
To reuse them they likely need a surface sealant.

I was thinking of making porch steps out of old tires...I may still make a mailbox holder with tires, dirt and ...maybe...hydrophobic concrete...

http://www.greenwala....­.

Great IDEA! Why not combine both ideas.

Ok, so enough people have emailed me to join this project. Let's go live with it! I'll create a new discussions page for the project, and we can collaborate via Google+ hangout when we are more organized. Again, I would like to reiterate that I have NO idea what I'm doing here, so people with ideas and suggestions, please do so. We're in it together.