addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

HOUSTONxSHAKERS (Lover of TED Talks) Message Board › Anyone geeky enough to take a free online course with me ? :)

Anyone geeky enough to take a free online course with me ? :)

Eldho K.
EVK33
Houston, TX
Post #: 19
Judy C.
jichang79
Group Organizer
Houston, TX
Post #: 34
I'm down!
Eldho K.
EVK33
Houston, TX
Post #: 20
Alright JC! - so what's your fancy? evolution? anything else on that list look more interesting to you? I am flipping between that and the intro to Python programming -- seems you can do a lot with python on the web to model neural nets and such.
Judy C.
jichang79
Group Organizer
Houston, TX
Post #: 35
I've been facinated with the human genome ever since I watched this TED talk by Aubrey de Grey...this would definitely be the subject that I would love to learn more about!
A former member
Post #: 5
Oh noes! Biology 1 flashback!!!

...I sort of wish I had the attention-span to do it, as it would add to what I have studied, but ATM I'm going to be getting my life in order, hopefully to include dinking away at the bachelor's again.

However, if you want to discuss this stuff, I can dredge it out of my memory and have a go.
Eldho K.
EVK33
Houston, TX
Post #: 21
Alright I'm signed up for the evolution class.
Judy C.
jichang79
Group Organizer
Houston, TX
Post #: 39
I watched half of the assignments today...pretty elementary, which is good for me.
Eldho K.
EVK33
Houston, TX
Post #: 24
Been reading the book .. First chapter is rather elementary, but the 2nd chapter has some good content. Have you read "a brief history of nearly everything" - awesome read - actually, the audio book is the way to go.

Some of the arguments in this book (evolution is true) are a bit weak - like suggesting that match sticks dont show signatures of evolutionary processes, but species do. Even the debate between creationists and evolutionists is part of our evolution as a species and the fittest will indeed win the argument :).. If the creationists have lots of kids (which they tend to) and school them that way and win the argument, it would be an ironic testament to the truth of evolution :).. Strangely, evolution doesn't care about facts or science, just about majority and natural selection.

Eldho K.
EVK33
Houston, TX
Post #: 25
Some good discussions on the class's discussion page. I'm better able to walk my mind backwards when learning about evolution rather than thinking forward from a single called organism splitting into all the diversity we see around us.

Good discussion was around the topic of human exceptionalism.. Are we special because we can do art and send ppl to space or are we as evolved as amoebas are? We have both been evolving for the same period of time..
Judy C.
jichang79
Group Organizer
Houston, TX
Post #: 40
So I was a little over zealous and signed up for 5 courses...now I'm over whelmed