addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Trail and River Rovers of East Carolina (TRREC) Message Board Questions, Info., & Tips › What do you need to get started backpacking with TRREC?

What do you need to get started backpacking with TRREC?

A former member
Post #: 265
We will try to hold three or four beginner's backpacks throughout the year. Completion of a beginner's backpack is required for anyone who hasn't backpacked with TRREC before and wants to go on one of the more advanced summer backpacks in the mountains. Even if you are already an experienced backpacker, it's a chance for us all to get to know one another. A beginner's backpack will involve a 2-5 mile hike to a campground. We will camp overnight and hike back 2-5 miles the next day.

A beginner backpack requires these basics: pack, tent, hiking shoes, sleeping bag, sleeping pad to put under the mat, emergency rain gear to cover yourself and your pack, and a headlamp. If there are significant elevation changes you'll probably also want a pair of hiking poles.

We can help you with everything else such as stove, water purification, hanging food away from animals, etc. If you are interested and don't have equipment--contact me and I'll see if I can help you. Some TRREC members have gear to rent, Great Outdoor Provision Co. in Greenville has a tent and sometimes other gear to rent, ECU has a rental program for those affiliated with the school, and REI also has a rental program.
A former member
Post #: 538
Folks, your local "Big Box" store is NOT an outfitter. I have seen gear from these stores fail multiple times in multiple ways. For example the tents are poor quality and really too heavy for backpacking--I've seen the poles break, the tent blow over in the wind, and people end up soaked because they don't keep out the rain. And this is not with heavy use, this is with being used one or two times. For a few dollars more you can get a real quality backpacking tent. For example: this Eureka tent is a solid single person backpacking tent. This tent is pretty lightweight, advertised as 2 lbs. 12 oz. and is great for the price ($99). If you want to get an even lighter shelter it will cost more depending on what you are looking for; check with your local retailers who specialize in quality outdoor gear.