All financial donations collected this month will contribute to our Nov 30/Dec 1 "Home for the Holidays" adopt-a-thon!
Tails of the Trail (http://www.tailsofthetrail.org/) invite you to hike with shelter dogs for a couple of hours of exercise and companionship. We're partnering with the Humane Society of York County (http://humanesocietyofyorkcounty.org/) and we'll hike the furry pups along the scenic Catawba River.
A $10 per participant donation will be collected at the event during check-in via cash, check or credit card. Thank you for your support of our nonprofit organization!
The ASPCA (https://www.aspca.org/animal-homelessness) indicates that of the roughly 3.9 million dogs entering shelters per year approximately 31% are euthanized. In some urban areas these numbers run as high as 78%.
Be a part of reducing euthanasia rates by hiking with local homeless hounds! Socialization and exercise can reduce kennel related stress and anxiety and improve shelter dog behaviors, thus extending their lives.
The pups will be transported to the trail by Sheba's Doggy Day Camp bus (http://www.shebasdoggydaycamp.com/) for a 3 mile, out and back hike. The trail is wide-paved with a few rolling hills but overall fairly easy. Distances will vary during hot Summer temperatures.
9:00a - Arrive at the trailhead for required Volunteer Orientation.
9:15a - Get paired with your furry companion and start hiking!
10:30a - Conclude hike and return back to the camp bus for treats and more fun.
What to bring:
- You may bring a guest but only one (1) dog per RSVP.
- Waitlisted participants are encouraged to join in the FUN though will not be guaranteed a dog to walk.
- Children with a parent or guardian are welcome to participate however kids under 16 may not be the sole leash holder.
- Dog treats
- Optional donations for the shelter: dog food, treats, bleach and cat litter.
- No personal pets allowed.
- Please load the app WoofTrax (aka Walk for a Dog) (IOS) (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/walk-for-a-dog/id643857704?mt=8) or (Android) (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.actionxl.wooftrax.wfad) onto your smart phone and select HSYC as your sponsored shelter do they can earn financial donations from our event.
For your safety and the safety of the dogs:
- You must sign a York County Humane Society release form; required on your first visit only. Click here (https://www.dropbox.com/s/ecymy02duzwfpd0/Volunteer%20Waiver.pdf?dl=0) to review, print, fill out and bring with you to expedite the orientation process.
- Read our Volunteer Orientation (https://www.dropbox.com/s/vjs1nl5b1muqccx/Volunteer%20Orientation.docx?dl=0)guide) prior to arrival.
- No dogs off leash at any time.
- Rain or shine event; please dress accordingly.