addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Take a Hike Message Board › New Meetup: Picketpost Mtn - GC Warmup #1

New Meetup: Picketpost Mtn - GC Warmup #1

Charles
user 6381922
Gilbert, AZ
Announcing a new Meetup for Take a Hike! (And it's not in a STATE PARK!)

What: Picketpost Mtn - GC Warmup #1

When: February 22, 2009 8:30 AM

Where: Click the link below to find out!

Meetup Description: Hi All,

Sorry for the short notice. This Sunday 2/22, I'm organizing a hike up Picketpost Mountain near Superior. Let it be the first in a series of training hikes in preparation for my annual Grand Canyon trek. (No, I have not yet picked the final date yet, but it will be either May 9 or May 16).

Picketpost is a striking mountain located near Superior, about 30 minutes east of Apache Junction. The hike starts on the Arizona Trail and runs only 2 miles each way, but packs in about 2,000 feet of elevation gain. There's a little bit of scrambling, but that's what makes it a fun hike. Some compare it to a mini version of the hike to Flatiron. Scenery is awesome and there's a curious mailbox on top with an amazing story inscribed on the lid. There should be a good variety of wildflowers this year due to recent rains, and this trail typically showcases quite a few.

Disclaimer: There is a little bit of exposure so those terrified of heights may not like a couple spots on the trail. The trail is safe and in great condition. Due to a couple spots of light scrambling, dogs may not easily make it without a boost, but I have seen many dogs make it up this trail.

Time and Place:
Sunday 2/22, 8:30 am
Burger King - SE corner of US60 and Power Rd

Bring:
2L water per person, picnic lunch
trail snacks
light jacket (chilly in the morning shade)
Sunblock, hat, emergency poncho just in case.
Cooler full of drinks for after the hike
Dogs welcome, but see note above about scrambling

Please let me know if you plan to attend.
Hope you can make it!
Charles

Learn more here:
http://www.meetup.com...­