Detailed directions of Thomas A. Edison Park:
For GPS: Mill Rd & Patrol Rd, Edison New Jersey 08837
- Highways: From NJ Turnpike, take exit 10 and then Rt 514 West. From Garden State Parkway (GSP) take exit for Rt 287. From Rt 287 > take Route 1 South > Bare left onto Main St., Route 531 (do not get on Route 1) > follow to end > make right onto Woodbridge Ave. (Rt. 514).
- From Woodbridge Ave. (Rt. 514) take the exit for Mill Rd.
- Pass Middle-sex County College on the left side.
- Make 2nd left into park. Do not go inside the college main gate which is at the light.
- Make another left in the park and cross the soccer fields on the right side and a baseball field in the left side.
- At the very end of the park, there are 2 sets of courts. The first set has 4 courts. The second set has more courts, where we meet by default.
We play singles and/or doubles games depending upon how many show up.
Format: The format is:
* Warm-up: We begin our game by warming up through knocking some balls. This also fill the waiting time nicely for others who for some reason are running behind. Suggested time is around 10 minutes, with 1 minute for serves practice.
* Introduction: we huddle to get to know each other especially the first timers. In introduction we cover name, where we live, what we do, tennis rating if we know or level such as intermediate, anything else, suggestions, improvements, feedback etc. Also players give the contribution to the host.
* Teaming/Pairing: Then we pair up to play doubles. Players can pick their partners for the day. Ladies get a chance to make their choices first. Attempt is made to have the balanced teams to have the good tennis.
- Set-up: Stronger teams take the corner left-most "Champs Court". Last game Champs can take that court. Next courts are taken by intermediate level players, and finally beginner level players.
- We play 1 set and follow the standard rules of tennis.
- First-Ball-In (FBI) is only for the first set of the day.
- Sides are rotated on every odd number of games such 1, 3, 5 etc.
- In case of 6-6, the set is settle through tie-break.
- The scores are to be spoken out loud by the server after every point, so that there is no confusion or conflict during or at the end of the game.
* After Set:
- The winner pair stays together and either move up or continues to play against the new challengers, who are the winners on the right side of the next court.
- The losers move down to the left, split and form new pairs, hoping to find winning combination.
- Ultimately there is one pair who stands out as the "Champs of the day" if no more challenger pair left. That is officially ending of the tennis day, though players can stay longer to play more among themselves.
* Social: Depending on the mood and liking of the group, we can go out to eat, drink, and chit-chat somewhere close-by after the game.
Miscellaneous other stuff:
- Players get tips by other players if they are open to improve their games. There is a healthy friendly environment and nobody should feel offended.
- Bring plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated.
- Please bring a can of new / practice balls to play on hard Courts.
- Meetup will be canceled in cases of:
* When no one signs-up (less than 2).
* Bad weather or rain as it is out-door tennis.
Bring your friends. All levels from beginners to advanced are welcomed.
Make new friends, improve your game, have fun along with a great work-out!