What we're about
The 3 Peaks and Beyond...into the Welsh 3000s group
This is a group for men and women of all ages who like the more challenging walks, scrambling and going 'off piste' across open access land. The purpose of this mixed group is to train together to undertake a variety of hillwalking challenges.
No one expects you to be superhuman (we're not) or to be experienced hillwalkers (some are, some aren't). Novices are definitely welcome. You will need to have a reasonable standard of fitness upon which to build so we'd expect you to be able to cope with a 8+ hour day involving hills. You'll also need the mental toughness to cope with the more challenging aspects of outdoor pursuits!
We do expect you to 'muck in' and contribute to the group such as car sharing, shopping and cooking an evening meal, baking cakes, cleaning the huts we use and/or organising events and activities.
Plans for 2018 include:
* The Welsh 3000s over 2 days and a 24 hour Lakes Challenge
* Scottish Winter Walking plus other trips to Scotland
* Overseas trips such as Tour du Mont Blanc and The Mournes 7 in Northern Ireland
* Training weekends, scrambling and wild camping
So far we've done:
* The Welsh 3000s over 3 days (2015), over 2 days (2016) and in 24 hours (2016)
* Scottish Winter Walking (2016, 2017)
* The Mourne Wall Challenge (2016) in Northern Ireland
* The Tour de Trigs, a 50 mile 24 hour event at the beginning of December (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017)
* Shropshire Long Mynd, a 50 mile 24 hour event in October (2015, 2016, 2017)
* Yorkshire 3 Peaks in both directions (2014, 2015)
* National 3 Peaks (2014)
What it costs to be part of the group
A weekend away is £15. The money is to cover my costs of running the group including website costs, recce's, the group box, group kit etc. This is not a business and there is no profit to me in running the group.
I am a qualified Mountain Leader and Outdoor First Aider. I have also completed a 5 day Scottish Winter Mountaineering course in 2014 and 3 additional days training in 2016. In addition to organising and leading most of the weekends away I also provide the following support and training to group members:
• hill skills and mountain environment awareness
• hillwalking kit
• hill fitness and how to improve it
• Personal Shopping experience ie I help you buy lots of lovely kit :-) Current record is £600+!
Hillwalking, scrambling, Challenge events and other outdoor pursuits are activities with a danger of personal injury or even death. By participating in this group you are acknowledging and accepting this risk and the personal responsibility for your own actions and involvement in the group (adapted from the British Mountaineering Council participation statement).