addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Charlotte French & Francophone Meetup Group Message Board › French Conversation removed.....- Update

French Conversation removed.....- Update

Jason B.
user 12612550
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC

Salut a tous!

Wanted to let everyone know as to why the French Conversational Hours at the International House were taken off the calendar. I was contacted by one of the volunteers and in short he said that I was trying to "take credit" for the meetup and etc. by posting it on our calendar. Obviously he was very ignorant as to how things are posted on Meetup.com and etc. So rather than try to explain it to him (language barrier on that end) I removed it.

It is sad that he would send that in accusation, yet some people still write emails before they think. The groups on Tuesday and Wednesday should still be going on though so please continue to go out when your schedule permits.

I would like to have a Francophone Night/Party/Dinner....Your Thoughts?

Jason Brown- Agent Immobilier

The Charlotte Agent

Mobile- 704.907.1540

Email- Jason@TheCharlotteAgent.com

www.TheCharlotteAgent.com
Alice B.
user 12072351
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 1
Dear Jason,
In response to your recent message about the French Conversation Hour at the International House, I feel it was unfair of you to characterize the volunteer who contacted you as “very ignorant” regarding how things are posted on Meetup.com, and to further imply that due to a “language barrier on that end”, it was not worth the effort to try to explain the posting process to the individual in question. As a member of this Meetup group who has received all of the weekly postings regarding the French Conversation Hours on Wednesdays at 7:00 p.m. and Tuesdays at 12 noon since you began posting about them on June 1, 2011 and July 26, 2011, respectively, you have never described in any specific detail the way the French Conversation Hours function, nor identified the very qualified individuals who have faithfully volunteered their time over many years to facilitate these discussions every week. Indeed, you have posted the exact same very brief descriptions for the two weekly conversation hours since you began the postings, without ever acknowledging the individuals who actually make the French Conversation Hours at the International House possible.

Even if one understands that the Meetup.com system defaults to listing the original organizer of the Meetup group (i.e. you) as the event organizer for all events posted on the group’s calendar, it is nevertheless implied, given the lack of additional information, that you are the organizer of the French Conversation Hours at the International House. Furthermore, since you are always listed as planning to attend each conversation hour (perhaps another default function of Meetup.com), there is an expectation created among members of the Meetup group that you will actually be in attendance at these events. Meetup.com defines Meetups as “Face to face meetings that happen in real life between members and Organizers.” As a regular attendee of the Wednesday evening French Hour, I have observed the confusion that this has created when, on at least several occasions that I can recall, people from the Meetup group have come to the French Hour for the first time, expecting to see you there. Since you have almost never attended the French Hour, most of the French Hour members do not know who you are, nor do they know what to say when asked why you are not present at this “Meetup”.

It is dishonest and somewhat presumptuous on your part to advertise the French Conversation Hours at the International House as a weekly Meetup that you have organized (implied from what appears in the notices you send out, which lack qualifying information), when in fact you are in not responsible for creating the French Hours, nor do you even attend them.

The foreign language conversation hours at the International House are open to the public and are a wonderful way to improve one’s language skills and meet new people. I think all that is being requested is that you give credit where credit is due, rather than potentially misleading the members of this Meetup group by not properly describing the events you are posting, nor respectfully acknowledging those whose longtime efforts provide such a valuable service to the Charlotte community.

Sincerely,
Alice Burmeister