addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Columbia Atheists Message Board › My Mission Statement

My Mission Statement

Tim P.
user 13502827
Columbia, MO
Post #: 13
atheism should be the norm. Atheists shouldn't be ashamed to tell people they believe in whats real. I kind of look at it like when people believed the world was flat & that they would fall off the end if they sailed too far. I would like in the future for people to say "there was a time when people believed in and worshiped gods. They lived for a better afterlife & prayed for things to be done for them- but we know thats not true. We know that we must live for a better present life cause this is all there is. If we need something we work together to achieve it-praying will not bring it to us."
But how do you convince people in whats real? Some- you never will, it is in them for life & to be honest I don't care about converting them. It's putting the idea out that we are good people just like the religious do so that the next generations know that its OK to believe in whats real. How do you do that? We be as normal as we are...we build up ourselves instead of ripping down. We do the same things church groups do, family gatherings, fund raisers, we volunteer & we donate. But we don't do it in the name of god, we do it in the hope of a better future. Probably not for ourselves but maybe our kids or grandkids or grandkids-grandkids.
I know this sounds cheesy...but I just wanted you to know why I'm taking time away from the things i normally do to come spend time with all of you.
I would like to hear your mission statements-- what do you want out of these meeting...why do you come. Maybe it's to learn, maybe socialize....when I sit across the table from you on wed nights I want to know why you are there. thanks
Adam
user 14007855
Jefferson City, MO
Post #: 1
As somewhat reflected in my introduction, my aim is to educate and arm myself in the war against ignorance, and secondly to deconvert everyone I can. I want to build up my knowledge in philosophy, any science that unquestionably refutes anything supernatural, persuasion techniques, logical or informal argumentation and even knowledge of what the Bible says and how it was authored. I’d like to emphasize that last one because if you know what it says and why its wrong, you can turn their arguments against them quite often. They often times can’t see the mistakes they’re making, and it takes someone who doesn’t have that bias in favor of the Bible to see it.

Do I expect to actually deconvert everyone? Absolutely not. When I was in boot camp they would often times give us impossible tasks. They were in essence, paradoxes that had no solution. The idea of doing that to recruits wasn’t to solve the problem, (if there was in fact a solution that was just a bonus) but to get us used to the stress that’s associated with those situations. The point of me wanting to deconvert everyone is not to put myself in an impossible situation, but to give myself a sort of uphill gradient that I can always use to light a fire under my ass.

The ID movement in particular irks me for 2 main reasons, (including but not limited to) they’re overstepping their bounds and they’re dumbing down generations to come. http://www.sciencedai...­
This news is absolutely disheartening to me. I have no doubt in my mind that this is largely a result of ID advocates getting out in the streets and making their voices heard. As much as I hate to say it, all of us are partly responsible if we haven’t been making our voices heard. It's good that there is a group that can get together and share ideas, but it's not doing any of us, or believers any good if we all just sit by and let ignorance prevail. If we do that, our country is going to stagnate and become a shell of its former self. I don’t remember the exact numbers, but European countries have a significantly larger atheistic/agnostic population, and if I’m not mistaken, ID is only starting to be an issue over there.

In summation, I want to learn as much as I can from everyone, share what I know and put it all to good use by actually taking that information to the streets to combat ignorance. I honestly would like to take my knowledge to the forefront and do what I can to deconvert people or at least lend support to getting creationism/ID out of public schools.