2388 State Highway 128, Burnsville, NC
Come spend a week hiking (plus some backpacking) to summit Mt. Mitchell, the HIGHEST peak east of the Mississippi at 6,683 ft. Yes - the HIGHEST PEAK in the East. (Mt. Washington is the 11th highest in the east.)
We will also hike Linville Gorge - said to be one of the most beautiful places in the National Forest.
Arrive on SUNDAY as hiking will begin on Monday. Backpacking will begin on Tuesday. For those who don't backpack - you can arrange your own midweek hikes and catch up with us again for day hikes on Friday and Saturday.
Travel arrangements: you are responsible for arranging your own travel and lodging. You may wish to fly and rent a car or you may wish to drive. I wil post some suggestions for lodging before the end of 2016.
This hike will be more difficult than hikes within the state of Connecticut.
This event is a Waiting List Only Format. This means that to join this outing, you will rsvp YES to be placed on a waiting list. Those on the waiting list who are known to be capable and properly equipped will be moved to the Yes list. If you have not hiked with us before or if you've only hiked within CT then you will need to show what you can do on more challenging hikes to come along for this one.
You can join this hike if you comply with ALL of the following instructions. If there are any instructions that you cannot manage, then please change your RSVP to “no”.
To join this hike, plan to pace with the leader who will keep a safe pace for the group. If you wish to solo hike or only hike part of the hike with the group, please do not sign up as this is a group outing.
1. To attend this hike, you must NOT wear any clothing made of cotton or denim. No exceptions.
2. Trim your toe nails the day before
To attend this hike you MUST bring ALL of the following:
3. first aid kit for yourself
4. Trekking poles. We may require additional equipment closer to the hike date. Check back.
5. Wind and rain clothing
6. Head lamp (lithium batteries - alkaline cannot withstand winter temps)
7. Cold weather outer wear for layering and ideally a wool top or other wicking material - include a wind layer.
8. At least 2 quarts of water. Possibly more as we learn about water supply closer to the hike dates.
9. Hat, gloves/mittens
10. Spare socks
11. hiking boots and optional gators
12. Mole skin or nu skin and tape
14. not an option: nanospikes (Microspikes may also be required - check back)
15. Shock Blocks (or other electrolytes for leg cramps and dehydration) - you can find this at EMS, REI, Dicks, etc
16. Gu (or other high sugar concentrate for instant energy) – you can find this at EMS, REI, Dicks, etc
18. Bandana or something to mop up the sweat (this one item can be cotton)
20. All items on the Hike Safe list (google it)
While the leaders do carry first aid, it is not fair for any hiker to expect me to carry basic items as listed above. Please come responsibly prepared and we will have fun.
By clicking on "Yes" for this event you agree, warrant, and covenant as follows:
In consideration for joining this event, I, the registrant, intending to be legally bound, for myself, my heirs, my executors and administrators, do waive and release any and all rights for damages I may have against any parties or persons connected with the Connecticut Hiking Alliance for and related to the above listed event. I attest and verify that I am physically fit to participate in any portion of this above listed event. I grant the Connecticut Hiking Alliance permission to use any photographs, film or videotapes of this event for any purpose. And the Hiking Alliance takes AND posts lots of photos. If you are camera shy or in the witness protection program, this hiking group is not for you.
To communicate with a specific individual member - please message them directly (through meet up) rather than posting comments. Postings become announcements to everyone which can be annoying. The postings to the site should be topics that would be pertinent to all members and should be posted to the event in reference. Meetup sites all have message functions for conversations between members.
I like to hike. A lot. So come out and play!
love the outdoors and sharing it with others who feel the same
I love to hike..backpack and explore.. Outdoor adventures of all kinds..
Love to be outdoors!
Mostly into the hiking, but enjoying the snowshoeing as well
Where to next?
I enjoy outdoor activities.
Love the outdoors!