addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The North Texas Aquaponics Meetup Group Message Board › I need to go vertical!

I need to go vertical!

A former member
Post #: 36
I want to build a system that I can use to grow forage for my animals, preferably year 'round. Nothing will grow very tall before I peel it off and feed it, and I need to keep everything in a pretty small space under grow lights in one of my barns. Does anybody in this group have any experience with systems that have multiple grow beds, one above the other? Any design suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
Mary
Jerry S.
user 40459032
Rockwall, TX
Post #: 2
Check out this video from youtube http://www.youtube.co...­ Also check out this site. http://www.friendlyaq...­

Good Luck
Jerry Sledge
Adam
user 11075995
Santa Fe, NM
Post #: 41
There are several commercial systems that you could purchase from Nelson and Pade or Growers Supply that would fill that exact purpose. But the truth it, all you need to do is build a tiered tray system that is approximately 4-5 inches deep and provide adequate lighting. The plants would pretty much take care of themselves. I would think that running a constant flood / uniform depth system would be the easiest way to go for Fodder production.

Of course, you might have some difficulties when it comes to the ease of harvest and subsequent ease of reseeding. It would cost more initially, but I would think that developing a system with individual trays that could then drain into a common return would allow for the most flexibility. In this method, you would be able to pull a tray out - harvest easily, then reseed and then simply slide the tray back into position with out any problem.

Exactly how much fodder are you looking to produce and what budget are you thinking of to build this system?
Ron M.
RonMauldin
Bedford, TX
Post #: 28
Does anybody in this group have any experience with systems that have multiple grow beds, one above the other? Any design suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
Mary

Hi Mary,
I am working on a "for retail" version of what you describe, but it is many months before it is available and tested. However, I need to make a proof-of-concept model the first few months of next year, so maybe we could somehow cooperate?
The units I plan to make will be 3 to 5 vertical levels of approx. 1'W x 4'L deep water troughs(4-5") with rafts.
The pumps I already sell, http://ponicspumps.co...­, have the greatest vertical lift in their economical price range... so I already have the pumps needed and might be able to donate one to your cause if you are serious and if you can give me a good review.

Ron Mauldin
817-812-2119
A former member
Post #: 37
Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. As to how much forage, I'm sure it will be something where I will have to start "small" and add more later due to cost. I know of a woman who raises alpacas who brought in a tractor trailer box and filled it with a hydroponic system of trays on shelves. I don't remember how much she said it cost, but I remember it was a large amount. I also remember that she had some sort of mat fabric that she put down over the growing medium, and spread her seeds on the mat. Then, once her little patches of grass had grown, she just peeled them off the mat and reseeded them.

Again, I appreciate the help, and look forward to putting something together.
A former member
Post #: 38
Exactly how much fodder are you looking to produce and what budget are you thinking of to build this system?

Adam, honestly I hadn't even thought about a budget. I'm not sure where to start. As to how much fodder, I'm somewhat limited by available space. I have close to 80 animals right now, although I'm trying to sell some, so I guess my only answer is as much as I can in the space that I have.
A former member
Post #: 39
Check out this video

Thanks, Jerry. I will.
A former member
Post #: 40

I am working on a "for retail" version of what you describe, but it is many months before it is available and tested. However, I need to make a proof-of-concept model the first few months of next year, so maybe we could somehow cooperate?

Ron, I'm definitely interested in what you have to offer, and the first of next year would work well for me. Thank you.