addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Jeff Bednar Message Board › Super cheap totes

Super cheap totes

A former member
Post #: 43
So, here's a craigslist ad for some super cheap totes. I don't have any idea what was in them. The question would be, can they be cleaned? or cleaned enough to use in an aquaponics system?

Ideas?
http://dallas.craigsl...­
Adam
user 11075995
Euless, TX
Post #: 43
Be VERY careful when buying used IBC totes! Make sure that it still has the tag on it saying what it was used to carry. If the tag has been removed, there is no way to ensure that the prior contents were food grade. I am not sure if this is the same guy that I knew of in McKinney, but he was selling non-food grade totes as if they were, because the material that was held in them was considered "non-toxic". Just a word to the wise - that is NOT the same thing! This guy even says in his ad that food-grade totes are $125+.

Truthfully, I have to say that in the past three years, I have built a lot of systems. I have used blue barrels, totes, pond liner and even ferrocement..... Out of all of those - my absolute favorite for system construction is pond liner. For the life that you get, it really is not that expensive, and it is not hard to get the hang of installing it.
Bob J.
user 18667641
Garland, TX
Post #: 50
Adam is right! Be careful, ask to see the label, understand what the chemicals are that were in the barrel.
The vendor of the barrel is usually required by the company selling the used barrels or IBCs, to remove the label. That makes it hard for the end user to involve the company in any damages.
Good vendors will only buy "food grade" containers with labels and remove them after you have read them.

Here is some info about container blues:
http://hosted.vertica...­
skip down to where the article starts.

If you buy the multiple use containers, no way to know what evil therein lurks!

If they are food grade then likely $150 as the advertise.
Good hunting!