addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Edmonton ShutterBugs - A Photography Meetup Group Message Board › How did you learn photography?

How did you learn photography?

Laurice B.
user 13320435
Edmonton, AB
Post #: 32
Have some favorite information or sites you want to share that has helped you on your way?
There are many resources available for learning photography.
Here is a few to check out.
• “Understanding Exposure”, by Bryan Peterson, it explains shutter speed, f-stop, ISO and DOF really well and has other great info on the basics. It is available at the public Library
• The Dan Bailey Photo Daily, This is a daily internet paper that collects fun and useful web articles about photography. Don Bailey, is an Alaska-based outdoor, adventure, sports and travel photographer­. Neil Niekerk and his PlanetNeil website contains a large listing of articles related to exposure and flash lighting
http://www.catherineh...­. Catherine Hall has some really helpful tips on her blog. She hosts a show called Twit Photo as well that I find very interesting. Guests on her show include Scott Kelby, Jasmine Star, Zack Arias, Tamara Lackey and Art Wolfe
http://strobist.blogs...­ This is one of the leading sites for off camera flash information

Other sites of interest
• Image Doctors
A former member
Post #: 65
I visit many sites for info and inspiration.

The sites I have been visiting lots lately are:

http://lightenupandsh...­ (for lighting and portraiture)

http://blog.chasejarv...­ (for inspiration, portraiture and commercial stuff)­ (for lighting and portraiture)

A former member
Post #: 68
A great site from two local wedding and portrait photographers is:

They have great tips on posing people and other stuff.
user 13271759
Group Organizer
Edmonton, AB
Post #: 18
This may sound like a promo for our group, but quite honestly, I am learning by becoming involved with photography meetup groups! LOL

It's like getting free photography lessons, only better because often times it's one on one help. Also, you get to meet some really awesome and talented people that make photography so much more fun than sitting at home and reading a manual.
Curtis S.
user 23288261
Beaumont, AB
Post #: 3
My most recent favorite is kelby training! But I also keep up to date with "this week in photo" a podcast with many great photographers appearing on the show.

I found that has some good video tips for those of you just starting out
Gerry Y.
user 29859092
Edmonton, AB
Post #: 1
Hmm junior highschool started working in the darkroom, thats when it all started. I have been doing film photography and darkroom work ever since (am now 47).

Got to love photography!, it has opened up doors to rooms I never knew existed. Today I was photographing on a canal in Bangok Thailand, I was on a boat workers use to scoop garbage out of the water with. Learned a bit about their lives, saw how they and other people on the canal live and maybe even made a few good photos.
A former member
Post #: 13
I'm self-taught; I never took a course or studied any books - I just try to shoot a lot of photos.

I got my first SLR camera when I was 18. (You can look at some of the results here.) It was a lot of fun learning both the technical side of photography and the creative. It was also a real bummer to take your pictures and then have to wait a few days to find out whether you got a good shot (these were the days of film and slides).

I got my first digital camera about 5 years ago and it was incredibly liberating: not only could I see right away if my shots turned out, but instead of having only 24 or 36 exposures per roll of film, I now have 500 per memory card! Also, we can adjust light balance, ISO, and many other things that allow anyone to take much better shots.
user 9816789
Edmonton, AB
Post #: 6
I took 2 years of photography in high school- absolutely loved it...Developing film, making contact sheets, using enlargers. I used to have to sign out a SLR camera to do our projects. I have a few of those pictures that I proudly hang in my house. I also was a part of a group while I lived in Florida called the Digital Divas and learned a lot from then. I know I have much more to learn. I splurged in May and got my first DSLR camera.
user 9938347
Sherwood Park, AB
Post #: 62
Self taught. Started to learn the technical stuff (understand the science)
Learn your gear
Watch lots of videos, books
Practice, practice, practice
A former member
Post #: 20
I didn't, just faking it and picking the brains of a lot of talented people in this club.