addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Eugene Book and Social Club Message Board › More non-fiction in book group?

More non-fiction in book group?

A former member
Post #: 22
I am getting the impression (based on my own experience and comments by at least a few others) that our discussions are more rewarding when we read non-fiction books...I am wondering if people are willing to lean more toward nonfiction books...I find that even if I don't like the book I still feel it is rewarding because I learn something, whereas with an un-liked nonfiction there's not much to enjoy, and the discussion tends to be short or limited. What do other people think? I'm happy to read the fiction books but I have managed to pick a couple of low rsvp turn-out fictions that led to un-rewarding discussions and I've never been to a non-fiction discussion that didn't seem to go well.
A former member
Post #: 24
While I love the fiction that I read on my own (mostly), it is true that a fiction book that misses can be less rewarding to read than a non-fiction book that doesn't amaze. You are right about the fact you at least learn something.

Still I think any fiction I would pick is perfection personified. Isn't it?

I like (when I can go) the alternating fiction/non-fiction simply because it stretches me to read something not on my list (even the duds).

A 2 to 1 ratio or other formula would need to be by group consensus.

BTW- I wanted to restart "Hamlet's Dresser: A Memoir" which is about how Art saved the author's life but I couldn't find it so "In Hitler's Germany" a Studs Terkelesque look at the German Home Front form resistors to profiteers to "keep your head down" types written by a journalist and former Der Spiegel editor sent to Dachau for being a resistor. Fascinating and creepy.

Richard
A former member
Post #: 3
Personally, I would be more inclined to participate if there were more non-fiction options.
A former member
Post #: 24
in response to post on the book page... "Sorry if Sandor or others don't think it's worth bringing up this issue online, but since attendance is so variable, it doesn't seem there's a good opportunity to do anything vote-like in the group. I don't know if people are happier without having more group input but I think it's worth finding out what people's preferences are. I'm not saying the current method of 'individual suggestions followed by Organizer making executive decision' doesn't work, but I think more input may be worthwhile."

I don't plan to say anything further here, I just wanted to open up a discussion. Given that we have only two organizers in the group at this point and a lot of new members, it seemed like a good time to be discussing preferences. But of course the ultimate decision is always up to the organizer and I appreciate the organizers' efforts in keeping things running - it's not always easy to make decisions in such an unpredictable environment.