addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Glendale Photography Group Message Board › 1 hour Headshot Video

1 hour Headshot Video

A former member
Post #: 45
lol. you already talked about my camera choice. Its ok, Nikon people LOVE canon people.....we need SOMEONE to be our assistants. lol
But the biggest things kinos do is, give a huge light source due to the proximity of the model, (you can literally put them 1 inch from their face and they wont get warm.) Which in turn gives huge catchlights, extremely soft light, and you can easily turn down the light intenstity. And the light dropoff is VERY fast at that range. So they put a lot of things together for great results.
I am debating between a speedlight class, or a haeadshot class for the weekend of august 4th. Unsure which one we will do yet.

Any thoughts?
Laura S
laurasix
West Hills, CA
Post #: 5
Alicia,

It's not 'Avengers' Sixtos is it?

LoL, you know her?
Alex W
user 5518549
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 33

Comments:

• Regarding the video, I've only watched the first ~15 minutes but he says the expression is "subtle" then shows example shots where the expression isn't subtle at all. What? Maybe he clarifies what he means later in the video.
  • Working with 5 kinoflos would be great :) Do you use any boxes/filters/grids? What lens(es)? August 4th doesn't work for me but another weekend in mid-August, or if this gets repeated later in the year I could join later.

A former member
Post #: 5,310
There's plenty of different setups. I was fortunate to spend a few hours in studio with a former Richard Avedon Assistant who had become a world famous glamour/portrait photographer who generously showed us his standard lighting setup which was quite simple and relatively inexpensive compared to his top of the line camera setup (Digital Hasselblad with a zoom lens).

He used 1 or 2 strobes to light his subject, a worn out piece of cardboard covered in Reynolds tin foil as his under chin reflector. His studio was rather long and he had a bank of 3x3 strobes for backlighting his light gray cove wall. He would use colored gels if he wanted a colored background and he would adjust his background strobes intensity depending on if he wanted a white, gray or black background. His strobes were relative antiques, but top quality.

His photos have graced nearly every fashion/glamour magazine cover in the world.

Kinos are nice, but very expensive, big and bulky. For video, they can't be beat... But for still photography, you can do very nicely with strobes. Much cheaper and more powerful.
A former member
Post #: 46

Here is a quick lighting setup with my studio Kinos. There were 2 Kinoflo Parabeam 400's, I Kinlfo DivaLight 400 as a kicker on the bottom, and a couple of Kino Flo Barfly 200's on top.