addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Great Australian Shepherd Texas Roundup Message Board › AAAS Meetup Update

AAAS Meetup Update

Adele S.
user 11422111
Austin, TX
Hey everyone! I'm sorry no meetups for May have been scheduled. I'm dealing with a lot at home right now. Currently my heart and soul, Roque, has come down with a very rare and life threatening bacteria infection (you can read more about that on my blog - pawshoovesdiapers.blogspot.com­). And all six dogs also have the parainfluenza ("kennel cough"). I've been at my max with doctoring all six dogs as well as keeping up with my toddler, four horses, and recently we moved! We WILL be having a June meetup! I'll schedule it very soon. I'll be there, but none of my dogs will be attending any meetups for another few months until I'm 100% sure they are no longer contagious and have been given the green light by the vet. Even then I'll probably wait awhile longer.

I've been advised by my vet to inform everyone who attended the last meetup where Sam was present to just keep an eye out for signs of coughing, sneezing, fever, loss of appetite, or lethargic behavior. Canine Parainfluenza is NOT life threatening. It's very common actually. It lasts no longer than 5 to ten days (Samantha only had it for 3 days). It's comparable to a human cold or minor flu. It can be treated with a cough suppressant and minor antibiotics prescribed by your vet. However, it is highly contagious and can be the gateway to a secondary infection that can be far more dangerous (which is what happened with Roque.). If you would like more information on exactly what's going on in our sick little household... here are links to Part I and Part II from my blog. There will be future updates to come as well.

There will be a June Meetup coming very soon! Keep your eye out for it!

Thanks everyone for being patient!

Adele Shaw

A former member
Post #: 1
I'm sorry that you've had all this going on. Many prayers and positive thoughts that all of you will be 100% healthy soon!!