addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Madison Healthy Vegan Meetup Group Message Board › roadtrip proposal- Raw Deal, Ecopolitan, wild blueberry picking/camping/cano

roadtrip proposal- Raw Deal, Ecopolitan, wild blueberry picking/camping/canoeing, Boundary Waters

A former member
Post #: 98
Several people are interested, and want something definitive, now. So let's tentatively plan a Necedah trip, either just a day trip, or possible overnight with camping if people want to go to River Haven (another 2 hours from Necedah)/Raw Deal/Ecopolitan (another hour drive), July 10 and/or 11 (based on NOAA climate prediction center forecasts). A trip to Necedah doesn't have to be a meetup, since an unlimited amount of people could go, the refuge is free, and we would probably have people from multiple meetups/lists, etc.

So let us know in this forum if you are interested, if you'd prefer a day trip or a two day/camping trip to Necedah, and also if you'd like to do a Boundary Waters trip (probably the 4th weekend of that month, July 23-25, at least a 4 day trip). I can ask David, the organizer of this meetup, if he'd like to make the Boundary Waters trip a meetup event if we get enough responses.

Hopefully you're already out foraging in full force, been picking wild strawberries and making smoothies, coconut ice creem with them... starting to pick mulberries now too, can't wait for blueberries.
A former member
Post #: 99
Just a quick note on blueberries- I love 'em all, organic cultivated, IPM even, wild, frozen, etc. Keeping your brain happy and healthy is a great investment, esp. in these times [where the creativity seems to be sorely lacking]. Easter Island, the Mayans, the Greeks, Romans, north Africans, etc. all seemed to follow the tragic pattern of destroying their natural environment and falling along with it. Maybe, just maybe, this time, if we can be creative enough to come up with something to break this pattern [and courageous enough to fight for it], what we do might continue long into the future. Blueberries, esp. wild fresh ones, might be the best brain food [but there are many other good ones, too], and an important ally to having a brain up to this monumental task.

The very best blueberries I have had were from the Boundary Waters... something about those pine forest berries with pure water nearby, must help. They will keep for several MONTHS, fresh in your fridge [if packed the right way- maybe longer with some co2 trapped in the container, too]. Marshland wild blueberries, like from Necedah, or Indiana Dunes' bog [actually it is a fen, not a bog] are very good, also highly recommended. Then organic cultivated [hybridized, high bush], which will only last a month tops, fresh. Further down, are the frozen, wild, which I do buy, and recommend [Trader Joe's, I think Woodman's, etc., usually from Maine, or Quebec, etc]. But nothing beats a fresh, wild, northwoods blueberry, that can last into Sept. or even Oct. [then you have wild grapes galore to take you through the winter]. So someday, I recommend trying the best wild blueberries you can get. I haven't found much info online about great locations for wild blueberries yet in Sylvania, or Iron River [Paradise, MI, has an actual wild blueberry fest late in Aug.]. Even if we don't wind up going this year to the northwoods, at least keep this knowledge in the back of your mind... and keep eating those blueberries [actually, clean berries period], however you can get 'em.
Brenda
user 9013043
Madison, WI
Post #: 3
I'd love to do the blueberry trip July 11 or 12... and I second the rave about blueberries! I make a smoothie with 'em every morning, always with cranberries too (though they're hard to find organic now) and sometimes with blackberries/raspberries mixed in. I use the Trader Joes brand as well which you can get wild and organic.

Has anyone else grown their own blueberries in a garden around here?
David
user 8829766
Madison, WI
Post #: 97
Hey JP - what a cool idea! Thanks for your enthusiasm in putting this out there and taking the initiative on getting this together. I should get stranded abroad by natural forces more often! Let me know how you want to proceed - we can either keep this an informal discussion board kind of thing or I can post it up properly as an event and have people sign up and RSVP that way. I would encourage you to post this as an event with you being the point man for it . And including other groups from other areas - should you care to - sounds great too.

Sorry that I am just now getting back to all of you about this great idea - I had been stuck in Belgium for over a week while Eyjafjallajökull was erupting. I appreciate your taking the lead on this one, JP. After working for a little over a year now trying to organize, support, encourage, facilitate, and expand our raw community here in Madison it is nice to have people who are willing to take the initiative in coming up with activities for the group. My ultimate vision for the raw community is one in which I eventually become obsolete - other than to facilitate some of the organizational aspects with the website - and the members create activities and become the “point persons” for the events. Your putting this out there is definitely a step in that direction and I certainly appreciate it. I encourage anyone who is so inclined to do the same.

I have a strange work schedule that doesn’t let me plan the activities of our group (or my own life, for that matter) too far in advance. So over the course of this past year, after experimenting with various activities and formats I had come to the conclusion that basic potlucks - with their ability to allow us to mingle and chat and exchange ideas and experiences while we share a great spread of food without great expense or too much structure - were the thing that was most enjoyed by our members. It’s nice to know that your thinking outside of that box (beyond what I am able to plan due to the constraints of my ability to schedule things) has received an enthusiastic response. I know that if I am around I hope to be joining you as well.

I have been meaning to get to Ecopolitan for some time now. So if either you and/or Garrett would care to spearhead an Ecopolitan roadtrip as part of this or a separate outing, just get the particulars to me and I’ll post it up for you.

I hope to meet you sometime soon, JP. And thanks again for your working to put this activity together for everyone.

David
Greg
user 3929157
Madison, WI
Post #: 24
Necedah and Boundary Waters sound good to me; my schedule is real flexible so I'll go with the flow.
A former member
Post #: 2
This is a wonderful idea, and I'm interested.

It's devastating to learn about the potential of mining in the Boundary Waters. I also very much strive to nurture my connection with the Earth and the natural world everyday.

I have not been to the boundary waters, but I have been on a canoeing/camping trip a long time ago. I would love to go again. So, I'm interested.

Last summer I was living in Brooklyn, NY, and I left the city to go camping for a night, and it just so happened there were all kinds of wild blueberries just beginning to fruit. It was wonderful to pick them fresh and such a surprise.

I would love to stop at Ecopolitan, too. I was just in Portland and they have a partially raw kitchen (all vegan) called Blossoming Lotus, which was wonderful.

Everything that has been presented in these posts is thoughtful, compassionate, creative and inspiring. I'd love to take part.

Becca
(p.s. My boyfriend, although, not a member of this group, spent many summers taking camp kids into the boundary waters for trips- so he's well seasoned, and I will try to talk him into coming along!)
A former member
Post #: 100
Thanks David for your gracious words of support [and also all your efforts running this meetup, looks like one of the best I've yet seen... love the buyers club idea [a vegan one just started in chicago, so important to having a real community], letting other people run events, etc etc, all marvelous]. Best wishes on your current journey back to Europe.

We could check out Necedah ahead of time [I was thinking I would get there early to scope out the best spots, the day of, anyways tho, to call people, give GPS, etc.]. There could be wild strawberries in early June there, not sure, but that would be great. I am guessing most people will prefer Necedah over Boundary Waters, and that's fine... maybe our trip will inspire others down the road, so if we do it let's do it right, safely, and be gentle with our group. Becca, thanks for your offer to come, would love to have your boyfriend along as a seasoned guide. I have a couple routes i've done [would do a shorter magnetic rock trail, for example, or seagull lake, both have berry stands galore and just in the past couple years there have been many blogs about them to give us more precise info]. I'm open to whatever people want to do to make it the best trip possible, give people the most amazing experience.
A former member
Post #: 9
The Necedah trip in July sounds great to me, either for the day or camping for a night. I like the Boundary Water idea, but I think it would be a bit much for my daughter.

Is anyone interested in canoeing or kayaking down the Wisconsin River, approximately an hour or so from Madison? That makes a great day trip or overnight excursion. There are lots of sand bar islands that make for delightful camping.
A former member
Post #: 107
I've got a handful of people interested in a Necedah trip, with a slight edge for doing it on july 10th, maybe arrive around 2pm. It would be free, except for transportation costs to get there, we could carpool, of course. Sarah, you're the only other one interested in doing an overnight camping trip, River Haven would be great for that, and we could hit Raw Deal in nearby Menomonie, Wi.

Due to severe drought in northern Minnesota, this might not be the best year for Boundary Waters. A group is going there from Milwaukee this week, I'll get the full report from them next week and we'll go from there.
A former member
Post #: 6
I'd love to go...and so would my daughter....

And I have 4 blueberry bushes in my backyard (planted them ~2yrs ago), but sadly they have not met my expectations thus far...oh well...I'll just keep trying :)