This is an pretty intense INTERMEDIATE hike to Mesa Peak (or nearby picnic bench with a great view if we don't make it all the way) and a book. Please do NOT join if you cannot hike 6.5 miles with 1,375 feet of gain at a rate of 2.5 miles/hour and have not heard of John Steinbeck.
Here is what we do:
1. READ the book(s). Steinbeck's 1947 novella The Pearl is easy late summer reading. It can be read in a sitting. Steinbeck was one of the great writers of the 20th century and won the nobel prize for his life's works that include great American classics like The Grapes of Wrath and Cannery Row. The Pearl is a simpler work of great beauty often assigned in middle school with great discussions about the nature of evil and greed. It is based on a Mexican folk tale and has a strong parable vibe.
2. Be ready to HIKE (with hiking boots, legs, sweat) to a beautiful spot at around sunset. Be able to keep up with the group and get out before it gets darker than music of evil. Bring a headlamp or flashlight, water, appropriate footwear and clothing. You must be responsible for being fit enough to hike and getting yourself to the destination and back.
3. Bring amazing snacks to share. Your host generally focuses on wine and cheese, but the other two food groups, sugar and salt, are also popular.
The hike: 6.5 miles if we decided to do the whole hike and 1375 feet of gain with a lot of up up up and then down down down to the cars. This is up well traveled fire road and single track trail with exposed ridgetops, glorious valleys, and spectacular ocean views all the way to La Paz! There is a very good description with a map at http://www.hikespeak.com/trails/mesa-peak-malibu/ .
Rain, fire, revolution will result in rescheduling of this event.
PREPAREDNESS: Bring 1-2 liters/quarts of water (or other suitable liquid) and snacks to share with your fellow lithikers. Please wear appropriate footwear (preferably hiking boots) and be prepared with extra clothing, sunglasses and a headlamp for our return hike. Hiking pole(s) and a camera might come in handy.
The organizer(s) or leader(s) take no responsibility and will not be held responsible for any injuries or accidents that may occur during any reading experience or any hike/outing. These events can be inherently dangerous and accidents will happen.
By participating voluntarily you are taking responsibility for your own safety and well-being and acknowledge, appreciate, and in consideration for being allowed to participate in any way you further agree:
1. The risk of injury, education or creative stimulation from the many of the activities is significant, including the potential for addiction to literature, permanent paralysis and death, and while particular skills, rules, equipment, and personal discipline may reduce this risk, the risk of serious injury does exist; and
2. TO KNOWINGLY AND FREELY ASSUME ALL SUCH RISKS, both known and unknown, EVEN IF ARISING FROM THE NEGLIGENCE OF THE RELEASEES or others and assume full responsibility for your participation; and
3. To willingly agree to comply with the stated and customary terms and conditions for participation. If, however, you observe any unusual significant hazard during your presence or participation, you will remove yourself from participation and bring such to the attention of the nearest official immediately; and
4. You, for yourself and on behalf of your heirs, assigns, personal representatives and next of kin, HEREBY RELEASE AND HOLD HARMLESS PM Hikers, its organizers, officers, officials, agents, other participants, great writers, sponsoring agencies, RELEASEES OR OTHERWISE, to the fullest extent permitted by law.
Activity participant agrees that this release will apply to all known and unknown as well as unanticipated claims, injures and damages resulting from group activities, as well as those now disclosed and all rights under section 1542 of the Civil Code of California and hereby are expressly waived. Section 1542 of the Civil Code of California reads as follows:
“A general release does not extend to claims which the (participant) does not know or suspect to exist in his (or her) favor, at the time of execution of the release, which if known by him (or her) must have materially affected his (or her) (participation and agreeing to) the release.”
By participating in any group event or activity, you hereby, for yourself, your heirs, assigns, personal representatives and next of kin, your executors and administrators, waive any and all rights and claims for damages you may have against any and all entities and individuals associated with the group, their representatives, successors and assigns and will hold them harmless and free of all liability or claim of negligence related to any and all injuries, disability, illness, death, loss or damage to person or property, suffered in connection with any and all activities organized by the group.