addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Portland Dog-Lovers Meetup Group Message Board › asking for thoughts

asking for thoughts

kelley
user 47898072
Portland, OR
Post #: 1
Hi I am looking at moving to Portland this summer/fall. I currently live in Montana and own a petsitting business here where I specialize in socializing through group dog walks. I currently walk up to 12 dogs at a time plus I do regular pet sitting, and cage free boarding in my home. My question is...is there anyone that does off leash group dog walks in the portland area? (can't find any thru google) second is it of interest to anyone? Around here we only have 2 dog parks so it isn't as easy for people to walk their own dogs. I have never been to Portland and am terrified at the idea of starting my business over! any thoughts would be soo soo appreciated!
Thank you
Kelley
www.k9playtime.vpweb.com
shannon
user 14504033
Vancouver, WA
Post #: 16
Hi Kelley,
I don't know of any, but do read lots of complaints from non dog people who get angry about dogs not being leashed. I provide care in my home without cages, and have over 300 very happy clients who love coming here to be spoiled. I charge less than kennels, and spoil the clients as if they were my own dogs. I have all of my dedicated clients from 7 years....I don't know how good this area would be for a start up, though. Portland has a ton of dog businesses, including many dog hotels and daycares. It is hard for me to show new people how great my home is once they've started going somewhere. Once they see my home or their dogs stay here, they never go anywhere else. It's just hard to convince new people to try a change. If you start out here, your rate would need to be quite low since there is so much competition. Let me know if you have any questions. I'd love to help if I can. :)Shannon
littlepupplaycare@yahoo.com
kelley
user 47898072
Portland, OR
Post #: 2
Thanks for your reply! I do cage free boarding/care in my home too :). I only do off leash group walks in dedicated dog parks. I have been researching and have seen all the pet businesses...wow! I still wonder about the group walks though since it doesn't seem like there are any out there. Thanks again! Will have a lot to ponder!
A former member
Post #: 9
I haven't heard of off leash group walks, but we have 1000 acres / Sandy River Delta here which is a huge off leash area for dogs *think 1000 acres*. It is in Troutdale, OR about 20 mins from Portland. There is water available, grass, trees, dogs love it!

Hope that helps.
A former member
Post #: 4
Portland has dedicated off leash areas for dogs all over the city. Most are in the area of a neighborhood park. Vancouver, WA is just across the river and has two large off leash areas. I don't know of any organized off leash walks, but maybe it never occurred to anyone.