Avid reader and love being outdoors. Often read in my backyard, feeling the breeze and hearing the birds sing their songs of welcome. Been in Santa Rosa for 12 years and first time joiner of a book club.
* VOLUNTEER EFFORT: The Walking Book Club is an entirely volunteer activity organized by women who like to walk, like to read, and enjoy the perspectives of other women who enjoy the same. We have no sponsors or paid endorsers.
* BOOK LIST: Book titles are suggested by members and we periodically update the calendar and book list with members proposing, voting and agreeing on the books we will read and discuss. We usually come up with the book list in December for the following year. We ask that members proposing a book read the book (recently) before making a recommendation to the group. The template for book proposals is noted below. (We've had problems with books that people want to read --but have not read yet -- or read 15 years ago -- but don't really remember very well -- and then everyone complains.)
* MEMBERSHIP & MEET-UP: We use Meetup.com to notify members of meetings, gather RSVP, send out questions for the books we read, gather lists of future books, etc. Meetup charges us $12-$15/month. We are currently asking members to pay $5/year for 2016 to pay for the website fee. Please pay your $5 to Jan at the January meeting. Some members kindly bring treats (fruit, coffee, etc.) to share for our meetings, unless we meet at the East/West Cafe, where everyone makes a nominal purchase or orders breakfast.
* DISCUSSION LEADERS: Any member can lead the monthly discussion. Questions are often found on the internet and can be posted on the website before the meeting. Members can solicit questions and/or ask other members to lead the discussion on specific questions for the book. List of questions can be handed out at the meetings so no one person has to lead the discussion.
* CO-ORGANIZERS: Co-organizers back each other up for meetings in the event that the organizer of meeting has an emergency, etc. Anyone can volunteer to be a co-organizer, we just need to add your name as a Co-organizer on the Meet-up website.
* WHERE WE MEET: In the warmer, drier months, we prefer to park near the little Howarth Park train and meet by the boat dock/picnic bench area at Spring Lake Park near the beginning of the trail, then we walk directly (and promptly) from there. If it is raining, we often meet in the back room of the East/West Cafe.
* WHEN WE MEET: Due to summer parking struggles at the park during warmer months, we typically meet earlier in the morning (8 or 8:30am). During winter months, we typically meet later (9AM), unless otherwise posted by that month's organizer. Our members prefer to walk early so that they still have time to do something with their Saturday.
* HOW TO PAY WHEN WE MEET AT EAST/WEST CAFE: When we meet at East/West Cafe, we ask that members note the cost of the item(s) they order, multiple it by 1.3 (and round up to cover both the tax and a tip), and pay with cash (ideally, right when they order so they do not forget). This payment method has worked really well, everyone left happy, the restaurant welcomes us back, and no one gets stuck with a bill.
BOOK LIST CREATION:
PLEASE USE THE TEMPLATE BELOW AND POST YOUR SUGGESTION TO THE WEBSITE AS A COMMENT, so all members can see and review. We will vote with thumbs up' for the most popular books to read.
Note: Please only recommend books that *YOU* have *ALREADY* read and you are able to host the discussion. (We've had problems with books that people want to read, but have not read yet, and then everyone complains.)
BOOK PROPOSAL TEMPLATE:
o Book Title
o Book Author:
o Number of Pages:
o Discussion leader: (Will you volunteer to lead the discussion?)
o Proposed Month:
o Short Description:
LOCATION: If our drought continues, we'll meet at the park, but if we have FORECASTED RAIN... we will meet at the EAST/WEST CAFE AT 9AM. Please remember: When we meet at East/West Cafe , we ask that members note the cost of the item(s) they order, multiple it by 1.3 (to cover both tax and a tip), and pay with cash (only). This payment method has worked really well, everyone left happy, the restaurant welcomes us back, and no one gets stuck with a bill.