addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Seattle Ruby on Rails Developers Meetup Group Message Board › Ubuntu and Windows Set-up

Ubuntu and Windows Set-up

A former member
Post #: 6
I'm new to RoR and have a Windows PC. I want to use that PC as my local server/dev machine and was told by many of RoR programmers that using Windows for RoR is really complex and/or impossible and that I should use a Mac (which I don't have and can't afford at this time) or Linux. Since I know my way around Ubuntu and have the hardware to support it I decided to go that route.

So now I need to get Ubuntu Linux up and running on my Windows machine and can't figure out if I should
1) dual boot;
2) run a virtual OS inside my Windows OS or
3) install Ubuntu Desktop Edition.

If anyone here has any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Kris Luminar
A former member
Post #: 5
Using Rails on Windows is never a good option. It'll be more work than just running ubuntu. That, and you'll get to learn good unix tools. I can't imagine running git on windows, for example.

I recommend using wubi, unless you have a need to get rid of windows altogether. VM is also a good option, but it's going to be slower. I would only go that route if you need to use Windows tools frequently. If you don't have VT-x (but you probably do), don't even try VM.

OSX is still much better though, and if you get serious you're going to want to go that route eventually.
A former member
Post #: 6
I'll be at the meetup tomorrow if you need any setup help, there's a couple of things you have to setup on Ubuntu to make it work
A former member
Post #: 8
Thanks Jeff!

I set up a virtual machine since I've got the hardware to support it and also use a lot of Windows tools. I haven't set up Ruby on it yet and would really appreciate your assistance. I'll meet you at the Tuesday night meetup.

A former member
Post #: 10
Dual boot with Ubuntu works great for me! And now I feel like a linux genius!

I use Apache server.

Slicehost has great tutorials on setting up Ubuntu / apache / database / firewall / etc.

Bonus: you can set up a virtual server on Slicehost or other spot using exactly the same method.

Paul Sorey