addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Tucson Philosophy Group Message Board › Discussion of Sartre's "Triple Destructibility of Love" Tonight in honor of

Discussion of Sartre's "Triple Destructibility of Love" Tonight in honor of Tucson Philosophy Group falling on Valentine's Day

Ross
user 4912827
Group Organizer
Tucson, AZ

Please try and make it to the meeting tonight if you can, I inherited the group when our former organizer resigned & I decided to try for better turn-outs. Here's Sartre's Summary of the Triple Destructibility of Love from Being and Nothingness... great fodder for a Valentine's Day Discussion:

­               Triple Destructibility of Love
                                   ­         Execrpt from BEING AND NOTHINGNESS
                                   ­                          Jean-Paul Sartre

"We have just defined the triple destructibility of love: in the first place it is, in essence, a deception and a reference to infinity since to love is to wish to be loved, hence to wish that the Other wish that I love him. A pre-ontological comprehension of this deception is given in the very impulse of love-hence the lover's perpetual dissatisfaction. It does not come, as is so often said, from the unworthiness of being loved but from an implicit comprehension of the fact that the amorous intuition is, as a fundamental-intuition, an ideal out of reach. The more I am loved, the more I lose my being, the more I am thrown back on my own responsibilities, on my own power to be. In the second place the Other's awakening is always possible; at any moment he can make me appear as an object-hence the lover's perpetual insecurity. In the third place love is an absolute which is perpetually made relative by others. One would have to be alone in the world with the beloved in order for love to preserve its character as an absolute axis of reference-hence the lover's perpetual shame (or pride-which here amounts to the same thing)."

I've suggested we gather tonight for the MEET-UP at a new more approriate watering hole that offers more than caffeinated drinks in the original style of the Symposium? The Restaurant/Bar at the Four Points Sheridan Speedway/Campbell. I'll buy the first round! SO PLEASE RSVP either way.

Thanks,

Ross
520-298-1486

--
This message was sent by Ross (brainbozo@aol.com) from The Tucson Philosophy Group.

Meetup, PO Box 4668 #37895 New York, New York 10163-4668 | support@meetup.com