Discussion questions for "The Sun Also Rises"
Monday, March 22, 2010 11:52 PM
Hi Hemingway Fans,
I'm looking forward to seeing those who can make it this Sunday to talk about "The Sun Also Rises." We've had two great discussions so far and there's a lot of good stuff to talk about in this book.
I came up with a few discussion questions to get the conversation started at the meetup.
1. Why does Cohn want to ?rescue? Lady Ashley?
2. In Paris Jake drinks Pernod, imitation absinthe, while in Pamplona he drinks actual absinthe. How do the two drinks symbolize the two places?
3. Why does Jake say ?You paid some way for everything that was any good? and what moral questions do money and payment raise throughout the novel?
4. Would Jake and Brett love each other if not for Jake?s wound?
5. How did the war wound Brett?
6. What does Mike Campbell?s story about borrowing war medals from his tailor say about his character?
7. Why won?t Brett grow her hair long for Romero?
8. Will Jake be welcome at Montoya's after the fiesta?
9. How is Cohn?s boxing different from Romero?s bullfighting?
10. Is there a hero in this story?