Welcome to the Toronto Intentional Community/ Live Differently meetup group. Our purpose is to provide community activities through which our members can find personal growth and fulfillment. Some of this can be done by exploring, through education, through sharing knowledge, as well as through community and social activities. These events and projects will give you an opportunity to do things with a group of like-minded souls, and that are not always easy or even possible to arrange on your own.
We strive to be non-judgmental, open-minded, self-aware, and interested in personal growth.
Events will be created in meetup and you may respond with an RSVP. While we know that life happens while you’re making other plans, we do ask that you update changes in your RSVP in a timely fashion. Being considerate of others is an essential element of community involvement.
Toronto has a very diverse society and we expect you to respect all diversity within our group, whether it be age, race, gender, orientation, beliefs, or lifestyle choices. Please allow others to speak and listen to what they have to say, even though you may not agree with their ideas. Our experience is that we can learn from each other when we listen to each other.
Be aware that we wish to be an open-minded and non-judgemental group of people.
If someone is behaving towards you in an unwelcome manner we ask you to contact one of us and let us know. They may not realize that they make you uncomfortable and it is important to us that we don’t lose membership over interpersonal issues.
Our safer space guidelines are open to suggestion for improvement, but for now take time to read and understand them.
Safer Space Guidelines
We are a private group, and a reason is to protect the privacy of our members. In our member space you will likely make new friends and acquaintances. In doing so there is opportunity for discovering private and personal details, and sometimes an interest in making deeper connections.
Joining our group and continuing as a member is contingent on you upholding our safer space guidelines as follows:
• no outing of others at our events or in the public realm;
• respect the opinions of others;
• avoid predatory behaviour;
• pestering, trolling, stalking or verbal abuse of any kind are not to be tolerated;
• active and continued renewal of consent is always expected in situations that involve pairing up; and
• accept and respect human diversity in all its forms.
By these principles we hope to provide a safer space so that:
• Personal information disclosed at meetups remain confidential;
• All opinions matter, and any members marginalized by society are given more time and space;
• No means no, and repeated requests are unwanted;
• Permission for emotional and/or physical intimacy such as sharing stories or touch is best done by invitation of both/all parties. Consent if given is for single use and repeated incidents required renewed consent. This applies to all genders, yet awareness of power imbalance is important; and
• Diversity of ability, sexual-orientation, race, age etc. is to be welcomed and encouraged.