addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Toronto Science & Philosophy Book Club Message Board › "How can the surface of last scatter be 42 billion light years away if

"How can the surface of last scatter be 42 billion light years away if the universe is only 14 b. years old?"

Downtown D.
downtownDan
Toronto, ON
Post #: 373
I found a helpful answer on-line. (At least, I hope you folks find it helpful!) Cheers!

Downtown D.
downtownDan
Toronto, ON
Post #: 374
Hmm, I don't see the link. Let me try again:

http://www.astro.ucla...­

Christine A. Gagno...
user 63281172
Group Organizer
Toronto, ON
Post #: 1
Thanks.
David
user 3141687
Toronto, ON
Post #: 11
I did not find that explanation clear, Dan.

The simple answer, I believe, is that not only is light travelling through space, but that the space (in effect behind every photon) itself is expanding.

Take a photon leaving earth. It is moving away at c. As it moves away from us, the space itself in between the photon and us is actually expanding as well. So the total distance between the earth and the photon that leaves us is c + the expansion factor of space itself.

I hope this helps. If I am incorrect let me know.

Cheers,
Dave