Location visible to members
*** THIS HIKE IS NOW FULLY SUBSCRIBED. HOWEVER, IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN GOING, PLEASE SIGN UP ON THE WAITING LIST. WE ARE OPENING UP A SECOND, SIMILAR CAMP/HIKE AT THE SAME PLACE ON THE SAME WEEKEND (Bright Angel Trail to Indian Garden & Plateau Point and back)***
This hike is rated VERY DIFFICULT!
Join us for a special trip to Arizona's most famous outdoor location, the Grand Canyon! We'll enjoy three days (and two nights) of camping on the south rim at Mather Campground, with a full day hike down into the canyon - down the South Kaibab, across the Tonto to Indian Garden, and back up the Bright Angel Trail.
Hiking group size <30.
NB. We will NOT be going to the Colorado River and back this time!
Please read this entire post carefully, including the NOTES (http://files.meetup.com/1359519/Grand%20Canyon%20Hike%20May%202014%20-%20Notes.docx), prior to RSVPing.
Please answer all questions in the RSVP.
In order to save costs and fees, we will utilize the following process for gathering payments:
1. When you RSVP “Yes”, you will be placed on the Waiting List
2. If there is room in the group, I will e-mail information about how to pay. No refunds.
3. When I receive your payment, you will be moved to the “Going” List
Friday 2nd May, 2014:
• Drive to Mather Campground on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. We have a Group Campsite reserved (Campsite number to be supplied later). There will be plenty of room for all attendees. If you would like to bring a non-hiking guest, please let me know in your response - there should be room at the campsite to accommodate a limited number.
• Set up camp
• Around 6pm: Communal Dinner at campsite (I will provide and cook). Some sort of pasta dish so we are all "carbed up" for the hike. Bring your own beverage of choice and an appetizer or dessert to share. If you have special dietary needs or preferences please let us know in your response (especially if vegetarian). We may not be able to accommodate all!
• Campfire (if permitted)
Saturday 3rd May, 2014:
• Breakfast. Some fruit and pastries (e.g. coffee cake, danish, donuts) will be provided. We'll have hot water for coffee, tea, chocolate etc.
• Leave campsite around 7:00 (to be confirmed) to catch the Hikers Express shuttle to South Kaibab Trailhead
• Start down South Kaibab Trail around 8:00 - 8:15 (to be confirmed).
• 4.4 miles to junction of Tonto Trail, take Tonto to Indian Garden - another 4.8 miles. NOTE: There is no water available on this segment of the trail (9+ miles). It will be necessary to carry 3+ liters of water, as the trail is exposed with little or no shade!
• Lunch at Indian Garden. Pack your own! Water fill-up.
• Hike out up the Bright Angel Trail - 4.6 miles. Water and restrooms available at 3 mile house and 1.5 mile house.
• Showers are available at the campground
• Dinner at one of the lodges (to be determined)
Sunday 4th May, 2014:
• Break camp - leave by 11am
• Optional morning hike to a lookout (to be determined)
• Drive to Flagstaff - lunch at Beaver Street Brewery (http://www.beaverstreetbrewery.com/) in Flagstaff.
• Drive back to Phoenix.
Notes - Mainly for those going into the Canyon for the first time. Better to be safe than sorry. Don't underestimate the difficulty of the climb out!
Please be sure to read the Notes HERE (http://files.meetup.com/1359519/Grand%20Canyon%20Hike%20May%202014%20-%20Notes.docx)
In order to accompany us you must be fit enough to do the hike as described. Preference will be given to members who regularly attend our events and have demonstrated the requisite level of hiking ability. We reserve the right to suggest that hikers who cannot demonstrate capability to finish this type of hike NOT attend! Let us know what you have done before.
The campground is drive-up car camping, however only three cars are allowed to park at the immediate campsite at any time. You must drop off your stuff and park nearby. We'll figure it out on-site and walk or shuttle-car from the larger parking areas as necessary.
The fee covers the campsite, a communal dinner on Friday night, and some breakfast breads & fruit for Saturday (and Sunday?) mornings. No, there is no discount if you skip the communal meal. There are NO REFUNDS if you cancel your trip, but you could "sell" your spot to someone on the waiting list.
We're also asking people to bring some item to share: appetizer, desert, etc. Please mention in your RSVP what you'd like to bring.
Tents, sleeping bags, hiking gear, etc, and all other meals are your responsibility. Camping equipment may be rented from REI and elsewhere if needed.
As the date gets close, you can see the actual weather forecast (http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=36.0544445&lon=-112.1401108&site=all&smap=1&searchresult=Grand%20Canyon%20Village%2C%20AZ%2086023%2C%20USA#.Uq-3FCdHZmA) here. Pack and dress in layers accordingly.
DISTANCE: ~ 13.8 miles
ELEVATION GAIN: >3000 ft
DURATION: ~ 10 hours (time for lunch at Indian Gardens)
TRAIL STYLE: Loop
DOGS: NO. Sorry, but pets are not allowed by the NPS (http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/pets.htm) into the canyon.
FACILITIES: Bathrooms and water at Indian Gardens, 3-Mile House, 1-1/2 Mile House
WEBSITE: Trailmap (http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/upload/BrightAngelTrail.pdf)
CARPOOL LOCATION: We'll meet at the McDonald's parking lot at the intersection of Carefree Highway and I17. The address is 3140 W Carefree Highway, Phoenix, AZ. Park along the south wall by the street. Mention in your RSVP if you're going to carpool. We'll leave there by 1:00 pm on Friday afternoon! If you need to leave earlier or later, let us know and we'll try to arrange a later carpool too. (I plan on leaving mid-morning). For those riding, please budget to share the travel costs of the ~400 miles round trip.
DIRECTIONS TO CAMPSITE: Follow the Google map link above to Grand Canyon National Park. Go through the entry gate and follow signs for Mather Campground. Campsite details to be provided later. The entry fees for the park is $25 per vehicle and all passengers. We'll meet starting at 4:00 pm on Friday afternoon at the campsite. If you are going to be much later than that, please e-mail me to let me know your ETA.