Don't even try without gaiters and Wool socks!!! :)
DISTANCE: 9.4 MILES ROUNDTRIP (to the summit, if reachable - we will at least go to the lakes)
There will be at least an additional 4 miles round trip distance if we have to start at campground. I will be in touch with CDOT as the date gets closer to keep tabs on the conditions.
SKILL LEVEL: MODERATE PLUS to DIFFICULT (THIS IS AN ADVANCED OUTING - if you have any medical issues that might hinder your progress, do not attempt this)
ELEVATION GAIN:2,125 elevation
ELEVATION CHANGE: 11,669 - 13,794 (If we make the peak)
Wooly mammoth at 8:50AM Leaving at 9:00AM
The road all the way to to the trailhead may be closed so we will park as far up as we can.
We are expecting travel time to be about 1 hour tops to Georgetown.
Square Top Trail is above timberline most of the way with no windbrakes for cover except by the lakes. We will moniter weather conditons closley. If conditions become umberable we will end at the lakes and return.
Dogs must be leashed at all times on this trail.
- THE APRES Hike:
- Lucha Cantina
- 606 6th Street, Georgetown, CO (303)[masked]
NOTES (PLEASE READ!!):
1) PLEASE READ, UNDERSTAND AND AGREE TO OUR GENERAL RULES, PHILOSOPHY AND LIABILITY WAIVER ON THE MAIN PAGE -
As always - the most important point is that you are responsible for your own safety and understanding what you will need to participate in this outing!
YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY, WHEREABOUTS AND PREPAREDNESS!!
2) ** Be ready for any kind of weather - Lots of layers, jacket/shell, hat, gloves/mittens, etc. **
3) Be prepared with snowshoes, and/ or
traction devices (I highly recommend both for
this outing, but I expect traction devices will be more appropriate past the lakes if we attempt the summit due to the grade and terrain)
4) Bring extra water, as high
elevations dehydrate the body at a faster rate.
5) Poles are highly recommended!
6) Please remember that snowshoeing/spiking might mean that we end up spreading out according to our pace and fitness levels. If you do split off ahead from the group, please wait at the summit (or, as far as we can make it) for most of the members to arrive. If you are falling behind, please try and make a group member aware!
If you can not complete the trail and need to
turn back, please inform your organizer(s), or
someone who can inform the organizer(s) that
you are leaving. The group is not responsible
for your whereabouts.
7) IF you run a carpool, or participate in a carpool, please coordinate with each other as to your individual pace and meeting back at the parking lot!