addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Transition Richmond Message Board Transition Richmond Discussion Forum › Geoffrey West on the possibility of societal collapse

Geoffrey West on the possibility of societal collapse

Yoomie
user 20610931
Arlington, VA
Post #: 70
Highlights from an interview with Geoffrey West in Discover Magazine:

"What are the issues most likely to push us toward collapse?

I think the biggest stresses are clearly going to be on energy, food, and clean water. A lot of people are going to be denied these basics across the globe. If there is a collapse—and I hope I’m wrong—it will almost certainly come from social unrest starting in the most deprived areas, which will spread to the developed world.

How can we prevent that kind of collapse from happening?

We need to seriously rethink our socioeconomic framework. It will be a huge social and political challenge, but we have to move to an economy based on no growth or limited growth. And we need to bring together economists, scientists, and politicians to devise a strategy for doing what has to be done. I think there is a way out of this, but I’m afraid we might not have time to find it.

That sounds similar to the dire warnings of economist Thomas Malthus in the 19th century and biologist Paul Ehrlich in the 1960s. Those predictions proved spectacularly wrong. How is yours different?

I’ve been called a neo-Malthusian as if it’s a horrible word, but I’m proud to be one. Ehrlich and Malthus were wrong because they didn’t take into account innovation and technological change. But the spirit was correct, and it is unfortunate that people dismiss their arguments outright. Even though innovations reset the clock, from the work that I’ve done, I think all they do is delay collapse."