addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Seattle Transpartisan Alliance Message Board Gender › Violence against men

Violence against men

Brendan R.
user 12510306
Duvall, WA
Post #: 5
Since this is my hot button issue, I'd like to start it here. The exact statistics on domestic violence aren't really what I want to discuss (Although the stats I've seen indicate that female-on-male violence is at least as common as male-on-female.) It's the tolerance for violence committed by women that gets to me.

I've seen a lot of stories in the news talking about violence and rape committed against men. Usually the story does not take the issue seriously, and he's always blamed for breaking up with her, cheating on her, or something else he did. I've heard one story about a woman who killed her husband by running over him three times with her car, with their three-year-old daughter sitting in the passenger's seat, begging her not to kill her father. The media then focused on the fact that he'd cheated on her, and blamed him for what happened.

I've also read an article about a woman who decided to get back at her ex-boyfriend by stealing his car and crashing it into the place where he worked. The article itself was all about how he had it coming for dumping her, and basically treated her as the hero. As punishment for this crime, she was given nine months' suspended sentence -- for breaking traffic laws.

However, the most horrifying example I've seen of this is this video, which actually went viral:

http://www.youtube.co...­

The video is about a man whose wife chopped off his penis because he tried to divorce her. The women in the video are openly laughing at him. I really can't describe how sickening this is. It's not even the only example I've heard of involving a women cutting off her husband's genitals, or the only time I've seen a group of women laughing at it.

On a related note, there's also the fact that it is completely legal to mutilate baby boys' genitals in most of the western world.

And it gets even worse when people are talking about male rape. I actually brought this up at the meeting. I think part of the problem here is that ijn today's society men are presumed to always want sex, at any time, from anyone. So when a man is raped, it's funny, and he probably enjoyed it. A lot of the rhetoric I've heard talking about male rape has had this tone.

I think the basic problem, though, is that violence against men just isn't recognized as a problem. In fact, it's deliberately sidelined. Rape and domestic violence are talked about interchangeably with "violence against women." These types of discussions blatantly whitewash the suffering of men who have been through these same things.
Rebecca
user 59747742
Seattle, WA
Post #: 1
For me, the tolerance of violence in any and all forms is where the focus needs to be. If we focus only on one sector of the population (men, women, children, sex, race, color, creed, religion etc.) or attempt to defend which sector has the highest degree of violence committed against it, through the use of statistics, we will continue to be divided and never move towards a real and viable solution, which takes unity in thought and action.

I believe world history, ancient to modern, reveals the root cause of violence to be the tolerance or support of any type of force. As long as any society tolerates and even supports the use of force, usually manifested by a hierarchical governing body taking or being given the authority to use force via the "rule of law", we will never come close to reducing the amount of violence by individuals within that society.
Brendan R.
user 12510306
Duvall, WA
Post #: 6
Rebecca, while I agree with you that all violence should be recognized as a problem, you do have to look at how it manifests against particular groups in order to deal with it. Especially when it's on this level. If a group of women can get away with laughing at a man's being getting cut off on national TV, something is very seriously wrong.

I also believe that we need to address the people who think that rapes committed against women are unimportant or her fault because of the way she was dressed, or because she'd had too much to drink.

And also, as I mentioned in my first post, part of the problem here is exactly what you say -- people are only focusing on violence against women, and ignoring violence against men.