• What we'll do
Come out for a civic hacking session in Chapel Hill Town Hall Room 344! We will be working on two projects (descriptions under 'Ongoing projects').
- 6:00 - 6:15: Mix and mingle
- 6:15 - 6:30: Updates on projects and pitch new ones
- 6:30 - 7:45: Split into project teams
- 7:45 - 8:00: Debrief on work completed and next steps
• Ongoing projects:
- Chapel Hill Crash Model: The objective of this project is to use data science to understand and predict traffic related injuries in Chapel Hill. The Town of Chapel Hill has expressed concerns over increasing instances of serious traffic crashes. In order to start addressing the problem, it is imperative to understand what makes some intersections and regions more dangerous than others. If we can find patterns in the data that shed light on what conditions make crashes more likely, it’s possible to take measures to prevent them.
- Park Facilities Usage Tracking: Collecting data about Chapel Hill's recreational facilities is important yet cost-prohibitive. If the Parks Department knows how facilities are being used, they can serve the town better. However, proprietary usage tracking solutions and manual data collection are both expensive. We are determining how to address this issue using low-cost hardware and open-source software.
• What to bring
A computer and some creative energy!
• Important to know
If you arrive and the doors are locked, please call[masked]