addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Tucson Atheists Message Board › Marriage & Separation of Church & State

Marriage & Separation of Church & State

Mitchell
zenguy
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 146
If anyone wants to read my blog article, or any of the earlier ones, go to:
http://earthchurch.bl...­
Mikey
user 9892987
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 4
Have long thought the same about separating this "Announcement of Togetherness" from government license and control. When I took a community college speech class back in the late 60s, we got to pick the topic of our final speech. My topic choice was basically a speech against the institution of marriage. The instructor thought it was a preposterous idea, " ... someone would have to be insane ..." were his exact words. He told me I had to pick another subject. So I picked "Top Causes of Divorce" I don't know who invented the whole idea of marriage, but I do believe it is an invention, just like religion. At least within civilizations, I think most of what we are immersed every day is invented either functionally or artistically. Some of it becomes standardized.
If marriage is not a comfortable state of being for everyone, then it is unfair that a society makes people feel like they are unloved, or some kind of a freak, if they don't "make it" into such a strata. At the very least, everyone should aspire to attain such a worthy goal (as your parents may have hinted to you).

I feel the same way about much of the bull I've been fed throughout my life. Marriage has not only been discriminatory against interracial and gay coupling, it's discriminatory against unmarried people > those who never find someone to marry, or those who prefer not to spend what could be a considerable amount of life's efforts living up to an ideal promise made at one confident moment in time. I've been indoctrinated with the romantic notion of marriage, and so I understand the gooshy feelings about the concept of marriage as depicted in literature and movie scripts. I see that for many coupled people it fits pretty well, with glitches here and there. But like all of evolving life, humans are full of variances, and it always disturbs me to see unnecessary stuff turned into legal mandates of normalcy.

The issue of marriage and legality (State) has again been brought to light by gay couples seeking legally recognized same sex marriage. This is great, because it brings up the whole notion to conservative religious folks that marriage is indeed a religious issue, and there really should be no need for gays to fight for it, since it shouldn't be part of a government process anyway. In fact marriage need not even be a churchy thing. Can't two atheists get married if they make such a decree? Marriage isn't even a religious thing. It's just a thing.

Gay people have had to continually fight for acceptance in all walks of life. I guess if I were discriminated to such a degree, I would question the validity of religion, marriage, many laws, and other limiting values that almost seem to come under the umbrella of patriotism today > Concepts which discriminate by exclusion of those whose ideas or genetics don't quite fit. But if overwhelmed by an oppressive majority, some people unfortunately have to work their way into "the fabric" to change the nature of it. " If you can't beat'm, join'm". But I'm glad to see diversity within the secular community. Question Authority.
Darwood M.
user 42480442
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 1
My girlfriend and I came to a similar conclusion about marriage being expected. We are deliberately not getting married. It was her idea. And it was settled long before either of us would have asked. 80% of marriages fail and I believe it is because people want them so badly that they settle.

My dad told me "Your mom is my favorite person in the world. That's why I married her." They have been married 25years.

If you can't stand your spouse you shouldn't have married them.