We're going on a white cliffs of Dover hike & guided tour.
The white cliffs of Dover are an iconic symbol of Britain, facing continental Europe at the narrowest part of the channel, from where you can see the coastline of France from Boulogne to Dunkerque on a clear day. Formed around 80 million years ago from the skeletal remains of billions of sea creatures, the cliffs form a formidable barrier from invaders, rising to over 100 metres above the sea. Julius Caesar tried to land near Dover in 55 BC but was fought back by the Britons. The cliffs contain a series of hidden tunnels used by troops during the Napoleonic Wars, and later used as Winston Churchill’s military headquarters during WW2.
We’ll do an 8km hike and guided tour of the town, and see many sights including the famous white cliffs, Dover Castle known as the "Key to England" due to it's defensive significance, South Foreland lighthouse which was site of the first international radio transmission, the lookout post used by Winston Churchill, the Roman lighthouse which is one of the oldest buildings in Britain, and St Margaret-at-Cliffe from where adventurous swimmers begin their cross-channel attempts, and more.
We're going by coach, leaving from near Elephant & Castle station, and places are limited. It's £35 each for the well-organised trip, 2-way coach travel, payment fees, guided tour, hike, and a chance to make lots of good friends. When you RSVP for this event you will need to pay online as we need to book the coach in advance and need to manage numbers.
- Bank card (when it says “Choose a way to pay”, click on "Pay with debit or credit card").
- PayPal (free to send money from your bank account or credit/debit card).
- You can ask your friends or family to pay for you online.
- Bank transfer from a UK account (message us to arrange this).
- Cash at one of our weekly events (message us to arrange this).
If you have any questions or need help with your payment then post a comment on this event page and we can help you in your native language.
# 8.15am - We're meeting at bus stop "P", which is opposite the Inner London Crown Court, Newington Causeway, London, SE1 6DR. It's near Elephant & Castle station. Map: https://goo.gl/maps/5kcWxr9x7WYfc63GA . Arrive early so we can check you off the guest list, and you can get a coffee, use toilets, meet everyone, and board the coach.
# 8.40am - Coach departs.
# 11am - We'll begin our hike from St Margaret's Bay, along the white cliffs, and into Dover, where we'll have a guided tour of the sights.
# 5.20pm - We're meeting by bus stop "D" on Pencester Road, which is directly opposite the Poundland store. Here's a map: https://goo.gl/maps/JpkmZGDmWAD2 . This is where the coach will pick us up from. Arrive here early so you can find it and board the coach before it leaves.
# 5.35pm - Coach departs.
# 8pm - We'll arrive back in London near Trafalgar Square. Then we'll go for food & drinks nearby. Bring your government photo ID for entry into the venue.
- This is an informal trip and you are free to go wherever you want. Just ensure that in the afternoon you arrive early to our meeting point to get the coach back to London.
- You are responsible for your personal safety and your belongings at all times.
- Be sure to only walk on established public paths.
- Details of our trip may be changed to ensure that our trip runs smoothly, so you should check this event description and the comments below regularly, before and during the trip.
- You should buy your own travel insurance.
- There are no refunds unless we cancel the trip, and places are non-transferable.
CLIFFS - DANGER:
These cliffs are soft chalk cliffs that are crumbling and fall regularly, and without fences. And there can be strong winds blowing. For your safety, stay at least 5 metres away from the cliff edges. There are plenty of good opportunities for beautiful photos without risking your life.
HIKING ROUTE INFO:
Distance: 8 km (5 miles)
Walking time: 2 hours
TERMS & CONDITIONS:
By purchasing a place on this trip and/or attending, you and each of your guests, as applicable, confirm that you have read and agreed to our Terms & Conditions. Click here to read these: https://goo.gl/6XZBhv
BOOK YOUR PLACE NOW:
Come with us as we go on another grand day out. It’s your chance to get out of London, enjoy a well-deserved break, discover this new place, see the famous and historic sights, try some local foods, take photos of your experiences, meet lots of wonderful guys and girls 18-40, and make some good friends. Book your place now to join us on a fantastic day out! :)