We currently offer free classes to encourage you to visit and perhaps join our makerspace/fab club. Club members are of course always welcome.
In this Safety and Basic Use (SBU) class, learn use the computer-controlled (CNC) ShopBot (#10138)PRSstandard BT32 router to cut objects, parts or art designed in 2D or 3D CAD,(Autodesk Fusion 360) Vector Graphics (Adobe Illustrator, Inkscape, Sketchup etc. This powerful tool is perfect for rapid prototyping and digital fabrication. Create parts with complex curves and surfaces from most woods, plastics, foams, and other composites. Class sizes will be limited to 6 people at a time. Please bring your laptop and a USB Flash Drive with you. We do have high speed Fios Wifi Internet access.
This class is setup so that you will be well prepared before you come to class. You will also be able to refer back to these training materials after classes. We like to learn from each other.
• The Machine we have is a Shopbot Buddy PRSstandard BT32. Preview info here
• Preview the videos here. ShopBot Buddy® Videos
• Preview the ShopBot Training Tutorials & Videos
• The only CNC router bits we have and will use are the Router Bit Starter Kit.
• Shopbot Tools Router bit Speeds and Feeds Charts.
• We do not carry all the different bits available!
• Members who become heavy users of the CNC router purchase their own bits.
• Software. We use Vetric's V-Carve Pro or Autodesk Fusion 360 .
Download the free trial version V-carve.•
Free for students, enthusiasts, hobbyists, and startups- Full use of Fusion 360 for as long as you need it Download here http://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/try-buy
The trial versions will not allow you to save a toolpath for your CNC other than the special sample files that are included.
• Preview Vetrics Getting started tutorials here.
Required: Closed toed-shoes; remove dangling jewelry; wear short sleeves; tie back long hair. UMakers will provide Safety Glasses, hearing protection and a dust mask.
Project: A small sign (12"x 16") of your design on 1/8" Plywood.
Equipment access: CNC ShopBot Buddy Prs 32 router.
Once you take and successfully pass this class, you can use this equipment for your projects whenever you work at UMakers as a member!