addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Houston Unity Group Message Board › Studio Business Models

Studio Business Models

Robert B.
user 4548566
Austin, TX
Post #: 18
Many from the Unity group are interested in the money making aspects for game studios. As well you should be. In addition, many have started to ask marketing related questions.

So, to begin the discussion, I would like to share this link from Finger Gaming This site is an excellent resource to gain an understanding about all things related to iPhone game development.

Today, they shared a brief post about Solipskier Solipskier. They claim to have made over $70,000 with this very basic game. Most of which came from iPhone sales.

There is a very brief, yet powerful, message to this small team's approach.

They had over 4 million visits to the web based version of the game prior to the launch of the downloadable app. This led to a very fast uptake of the iPhone version upon launch. So, their web version served as their principal marketing vehicle followed by the rapid sales of the iPhone version. I believe that you should consider the web as your primary destination for development while you are iterating the game. Once traction appears to be established, then you consider a launch on another platform such as the App Store. This is why Unity is optimal for this sort of development cycle. If you keep your technical features aligned across platforms, you can rapidly release your game to the iPhone / Android when you discover the fun.
terry
whole_bit
Sun Valley, CA
Post #: 19
I'm no marketing guru by any means but I think the point should be made that R&D is more important in the creation of a good game rather than trying to prop up something which ultimately has no value or is a rehash of the same thing.

A lot of people are talking about that in the game community via Gamasutra. Even the Japanese are starting to look to the west for aquisitions and ideas concerning innovative game development. This might be out of fear of XBox's latest move, but also budgets and time are constraining the creative process there and here as well.

Discussions concerning marketing will only place limitations on the thinking that can go into a great game. There are aspects which blend into that process such as target audience, playability, even distribution possibility, but that seems secondary to the core idea which can be developed corperatively into something that works well.

I know that the next meeting will tentatively be centered around this topic of marketing, but I didn't hear anyone mention that they were a marketing whiz last time. :) Most of the people in the group are creative types. Why avoid the good stuff? Too many groups are centered around work, but these are games, games are meant for play...

;]
Terry

Kevin T.
user 10626506
Houston, TX
Post #: 1
I agree with Terry, making a fun and innovative game should be an indies top priority.

I am actually about to start heavy marketing for Squad 6 and an Action-RPG game we are making for the XBOX360 called DoomsDay. I could share my process and marketing techniques, we will have heavy updates on these games very soon.

Robert B.
user 4548566
Austin, TX
Post #: 19
...making a fun and innovative game should be an indies top priority.

I couldn't agree more with you more Kevin. Hopefully we can open up this discussion as part of our first postmortem.

I could share my process and marketing techniques, we will have heavy updates on these games very soon.

I'd love to hear more about your efforts in this regard.