addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Explore New York: Urban Cyclists Message Board › Winter Cycling/Camping?

Winter Cycling/Camping?

Leif D.
user 8368649
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 1
Anyone down for a 2 or 3 day trip this January? I've never winter camped before and what better way to do it than by cycling!!
A former member
Post #: 15
how about two day weekend day trip in December before it gets to cold?

is from tarrytown up to mount carmel, new york maybe further north ok for a prospective destination?
A former member
Post #: 16
While we are on the topic of cold weather cycling anyone have favorite winter cycling gear to stay warm especially fingers and feet as those extremities seem to take the brunt of chilly weather first?
A former member
Post #: 1
I use pearl izumi windblocker gloves and the pearl izumi head gear. It works really well. As for my feet I use two pairs of smart wool socks. I might get some booties this year.
A former member
Post #: 20
thanks for the feedback, Pearl Izumi products are good quality cycling specific apparel products.

I will look for sale items over at Bike Nasbar and Performance Bike.
Steve H
Steve67
New York, NY
Post #: 79
I've been told that Assos is "the best" for winter gear. Can't say from personal experience, but they're out of Switzerland, so I can see it. Their price reflects their rating, however. Ouch!

My gear is rather mixed. I do prefer Pearl shorts, but otherwise, I'll go with what seems the best bang for the buck. I have Pearl and Sugoi micro-fleece tights. Those are very good for cold weather. Also a pair with a more water-resistant front but breathable back, which is both warm and good in wet weather.

Demarchi also has clothing that I like. I have one of the versions of their Contour jacket. Very nice. Tight, almost body suit like fit, but also comfortable, with a micro-fleece inner lining, yet breathable. Works wonders in cold weather.

Nashbar almost always has good/best deals on clothing. Personally, I tend to buy their in-store branded jerseys, for 1/3-1/2 the cost of the name brands. Some good base-layers with a good pair of tights, jacket and possibly a shell jacket, should do you right for cold-weather riding. And of course, a good pair of fingered gloves. I highly recommend picking up a balaclava (head mask) or two.

Winter qualified gear for riding isn't the problem I have. It's dealing with that icy wind sucking into my lungs. Outside body cold, I'll deal with. Having it try to jump out my chest from the inside.. is another matter angry Motivation killer, it is..
A former member
Post #: 21
Yes indeed dressing in layers seems to be a key factor in succeeding to stay comfortably warm while cycling in the cold wintry weather mix like today's first snow storm; additionally one also has to factor in the obligatory wind chill factor as well also. I also use mostly bicycle clothing purchased at significant discount and sale prices at Nashbar and Perfomance Bicycle as well.

For the lower bottom torso/leg portion of the body; the strategy that I sometimes employ is to use up to four bicycle clothing layers, which for example may include and consist of any of the four possible below combinations of bicycle clothing layering mixes:

Regular Canari brand gel bicycle compression short $37.50 when on sale at Nashbar; normally $75, link below:

http://www.nashbar.co...­

Regular Canari Gel brand padded tights $50 when on sale at Nashbar; normally $65, link below:

Regular Canari "Artic Tundra" padded tights $50 when on sale at Nashbar; normally $90, link below:

Regular Gold's Gym workout neoprene workout shorts $25
(this is to eliminate, mitigate and countermeasure against any potential "wind chill factor"

Using all of the above four bicycle clothing layer combinations together is usually comfortable down to 30 degrees air temperature and 20 degress wind chill factored in temperatures.

For the upper torso/arm portion of the body; the strategy that I sometimes employ is to use up to five bicycle clothing layers, which for example may include and consist of any of the five possible below combinations of bicycle clothing layering mixes:

Regular CoolMax T-shirt $20

Regular Underarmor compression T-shirt $50

Regular favorite track jacket $25

Regular favorite cycling jersey $40

Regular cycling wind breaker jacket $40

Using all of the above five bicycle clothing layer combinations together is usually comfortable down to 30 degrees air temperature and 20 degress wind chill factored in temperatures.

For the feet; the strategy that I sometimes employ is to use up to three bicycle clothing layers, which for example may include and consist of any of the three possible below combinations of bicycle clothing layering mixes:

Regular mountain cycling shoe that is oversized by about three shoe sizes $50
(to prevent feet circulation problems and issues that cause feet to get uncomfortably cold)

Smartwool Light Hiker Socks 70% wool, 29% acrylic nylon, 1% polyester $12

Nashbar Dupont Hytrel Neoprene Socks $17 when on sale at Nashbar; normally $20, link below:

Smartwool Hiker Socks 70% wool, 29% acrylic nylon, 1% elastic nylon from Campmor $13

Using all of the above three bicycle clothing layer combinations together is usually comfortable down to 30 degrees air temperature and 20 degress wind chill factored in temperatures.

For the hands; the strategy that I sometimes employ is to use up to two bicycle clothing layer, which for example may include and consist of any of the two possible combination of bicycle clothing layer mixes:

Manzella polypropylene glove liner or a Manzella polypropylene fleece glove liner from Campmor $7

Gordini "Gore-Tex" Peak Summit III Gloves $30 when on sale at Campmor; normally $55, link below:

http://www.campmor.co...­

Or another possible combination that I sometimes use when I am cycling and having to stop frequently using my hands/fingers for outdoor landscape photography purposes:

Golds Gym Heavyweight Leather Half finger glove $25

Left/Right hand Wells Lamont neoprene coated knit glove $8

A front mounted fanny pack to be used in conjunction with a rolled up section of micro-fleece fabric to contain one of those chemical hand package hand warmers activated by contact of air with iron powder (rusting of iron accelerated supposedly generates exothermic heat catalytic reaction)

Grabber Hand Warmers (chemical based) from Campmor average temp. 135 degrees for three hours or so $3 for four

Using all of the above two bicycle clothing layer combinations together is usually comfortable down to 30 degrees air temperature and 20 degress wind chill factored in temperatures.

For the head, neck and face; the strategy that I sometimes employ is to use up to four bicycle clothing layers, which for example may include and consist of any four possible combinations of bicycle clothing layer mixes:

Skateboarding helmet (as this seals up the head pretty tightly from the cold penetrating wintry winds and offers the same if not superior head protection) $30

Beanie hat between the skateboard helmet and the head $3

Neck gaiter, Turtle's Neck made by Turtle Fur and sold by Campmor made of a double layer of acrylic fleece for unsurpassed insulating loft as well as superior heat retention $7

Seirus Neofleece Comfort Masque made by Seirus and sold by Campmor made of neoprene thermal face protection that is fleece lined with velcro closure for proper comfortable fit $11

Using all of the above four of the bicycle clothing layer combinations together is usually comfortable down to 30 degrees air temperature and 20 degress wind chill factored in temperatures.

The key guiding objective of all this cold weather bicycling garment paraphenalia of course; is to keep warm not only the "bodies core" but also the associated "extremities"; and staying comfortable for prolonged periods of time while cycling without the associated excessive bulkiness.

I will only use what's absolutely necessary; in so far as the above bicycling clothing layering choices and options to optimize the comfort of prolonged enjoyable outdoor cold weather cycling.

Whether its cycling for exercise, cycling for photography, cycling for cycle touring or just a nice leisurely bicycle ride in the bucolic country setting to get away from our hectic and crazy world we all live in and the demands placed on all of us to recharge ourselves from time to time.

If this is your cycling objective and goal I do personally wish you luck and best wishes in this new found bicycling cold weather cycling endeavor in its many enjoyable challenging forms to be experienced and enjoyed.

As challenging as it might sound initially, I am confident with the proper bicycling cold weather gear equipment and bicycling cold weather layering best practice(s) and preparation(s) it is not only possible but enjoyable as well to spend time in the great outdoors on ones bicycle.

Another unexpected bonus and additional dividend, is all the above outlined and listed bicycling cold weather gear equipment layering protective clothing items can easily double for other outside sporting activities like hiking, birdwatching, hunting, snowshoeing and skiing are but a few illustrative examples; the rest I will leave to your imagination