addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

VanDev: Vancouver's Software Developers Network Message Board › Things that take money...

Things that take money...

Cliff H.
tanglebones
Group Organizer
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 6
Hi all,

Many people have suggested a bigger room, recording presentations, and live streaming presentations.

A rough break down of the costs for VanDev are as follows:

1 - ~$20/meeting to run (~$250/yr for meetup, domain fees, name tags, etc.).

2 - A video camera and tripod for recording the meeting would cost ~$500. Hosting for the videos online would also cost money on an on-going basis, and the time to edit and clean up the videos would have to be donated by someone, or contracted out at a cost.

3 - Live streaming ranges from free (with ads) to ~$100/mo (without ads).

4 - A bigger room would cost between $300-$1000/meeting for a downtown location. (The room is currently donated by UBC. If we decide to move to paying for a room elsewhere it is unlikely we'll be able to get our current room back.)

In an effort to determine if covering the costs of any of the above is feasible for this group I've enabled a "Voluntary Donation" option. Money donated to the group will be used to cover the costs listed above in the order they are listed. The group remains free, and donations are completely voluntary. I also reserve the right to change the priorities and items in the list above, and will not consider donations that come with any strings attached. (Basically, if you give me money to use towards the group you acknowledge I can use it in any fashion I feel will benefit the group.)

Also note: PayPal takes a cut, so if you want all of your donation to go to VanDev you can give me money directly.

Thanks,
Cliff.

Chang H.
ChangHan
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 7
Cliff,

Excellent post. I appreciate all the time and hard work you are putting in to make this a worthwhile group/meetup for all of us. I believe that many of the meetup members are not thinking through the time and money required to do some of the things that are being suggested - and there's a very simple solution.

If you have a suggestion, please also include the details for how to implement and carry it out. Otherwise, the suggestion can actually create work for other people and can lead our entire group down a rabbit hole.

I'm more disappointed than ever before that I'll be missing tonight, but I have a banquet that has been scheduled for a while. However, I DO look forward to the next meetup!

Warm regards,
Chang.
Henry H.
user 5411121
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 2
Maybe we can try iPhone 4 or Android with HD video camera using UStream.tv app on UBC's Wifi?
Jason H.
drjasonharrison
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 11
A YouTube/flip.tv/etc upload would be fine for me. If I can't make the meeting time, I probably also can't make the live streaming.

I understand that this can get complicated very quickly, so simplest, such as posting slides, or notes would be great. Might also further increase the visibility of the speaker if that is what they are interested in.
Beth
BethNenniger
Kitchener, ON
Post #: 1
If you are looking for a bigger space, it might be possible to convince the HiVE in gastown to host your meetups for free.
Cliff H.
tanglebones
Group Organizer
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 10
Space hasn't been an issue of late. If we do some thing larger or hit a hot topic we will consider a larger space for a revisit. Thanks for the suggestion.