addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Vancouver Roleplayers' Collective Message Board Vancouver Roleplayers Collective Discussion Forum › Best Roleplaying Experiences

Best Roleplaying Experiences

A former member
Post #: 6
Most of us in this meetup group seem to have quite a bit of experience with roleplaying. How about sharing some of your best experiences? I figure we must all have these - whether we are into miniatures, pen & paper or LARP.

Here's a one from me: best cozy factor. Back in grade 12, my group stopped meeting in the school due to the graduation of some of our members. We took to meeting until a great evergreen tree in a park, with huge, swooping branches that touched the ground and shielded us from the rain. It was high enough to stand at the centre, and wide enough to fit a picnic table. It didn't matter how crowded it got outside, we always had a private place in there.
Noway J.
user 12143584
Pitt Meadows, BC
Post #: 14
Beyond awesome,

I treasure a time when I played ad&d 2nd edition (I believer I was corrected when I referred to it as 2.0 lol, excuse me for enjoying less syllables) with some close and some new friends. Sure it wasn't as nice of a venue, in his apartment, but it was such a rich story line with betrayal, love, politics and religion that it was all quite beautiful.

Call me crazy but that is my ideal RPG experience, something infinite with people versus the finite in many games today.

A former member
Post #: 1
Let's see, I think one of my most memorable is back when I was a teenager and a group of us, that use to get together semi regularly, had been playing for the better part of the day and decided to wrap it up. Well the DM at the time use to like to end it with a bang... We were in some dungeon looking for treasure or something and he conjured up a giant tunnel wurm (it was meant to kill us off)... What ended up happening is the dice were in my favour that day lol and I killed the wurm lol on my own, to the frustration of the DM and other players, that had died off.... After the battle we ended the game lol I don't think we played for a while after that lol... Everyone else needed time recuperate lol

A former member
Post #: 6
One of my favorite times was based off an old little known campaign setting called Birthright http://en.wikipedia.o...­

It was my first experience in a game where we weren't simple peons adventuring and doing whatever the DM threw at us randomly. Playing as minor noble not particularly hurting for wealth it was a blast dealing with political intrigue, assassins and traitors in our midst. Not sure why the campaign ended now that I think of it, but it definitely set the bar for any other games that I've played since.

The other would be a Rifts campaign we did as low level mafia thugs in the 20's. Soooo much fun.
Anthony T.
user 12694411
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 25
Many years of RPGs, many good memories.
"Olaf! It's Dania, I'm coming up, don't shoot!" followed by Dania's severed head landing at the crossbow armed guard's feet. OK, maybe not a 'good' memory, but we had a lot of fun and "Olaf, I'm coming up" made its way into our group's lexicon.
More recently, intimidating a lair of mudmen by wearing their leader's head on a helmet spike was fun, leads to a whole series of awful puns and bad jokes. "two heads better than one". "You two faced blighter". Turn the other cheek. etc etc. Much fun had by all.
The best RPG vs real life rule I have come across was GURPs determining that constant bad puns (guilty) was an "odious personal habit". Actually fell off a chair when I first heard that one!
Anthony
778-988-3725
Scott W.
user 13453764
Saskatoon, SK
Post #: 1
My best roleplaying experiences came from Dark Heresy, i had a psycher and i just really enjoyed flirting with the balance between "damnable witch" and "necessary evil". my favorite example being the time the party was pinned down by a gang of heretic scum in a warehouse, and things were looking bleak, when suddenly my attempt to psychically augment my aim went terribly awry resulting an a large psychic explosion, horribly wounding (and in some cases permanently maiming) the whole party, but also wiping out almost the whole heretic mob.
A former member
Post #: 3
My best roleplaying experiences came from Dark Heresy, i had a psycher and i just really enjoyed flirting with the balance between "damnable witch" and "necessary evil". my favorite example being the time the party was pinned down by a gang of heretic scum in a warehouse, and things were looking bleak, when suddenly my attempt to psychically augment my aim went terribly awry resulting an a large psychic explosion, horribly wounding (and in some cases permanently maiming) the whole party, but also wiping out almost the whole heretic mob.
Ah yes, I remember this day. Definitely a great moment for you. :P But terrifying as all hell for the rest of us.

My most memorable roleplaying experience was also from Dark Heresy. The character I created had to strip and pole dance for money so I could buy more equipment. It wasn't so much as a memorable moment. It was more of a memorable character that I miss direly. She went through a lot just to have her character removed by lack of DMing availability.
Nathan
user 8311375
Prince George, BC
Post #: 4
One of my favourite gaming groups was a Champions game (Hero System) which I was playing a psychic ex-assassin somehow forced to be a good guy. From the silly moments (knocking a citizen out by whipping his wallet back at him after he thought my character was a mugger) to downright hilarious moments (pissing Nighthawk off at every opportunity), he has been one of my favourite characters to play.
One of my favourite moments playing him was when he noticed a burning building (obviously a trap -.-) and ran in without a costume (paperbag mask) or his weapons only to be ambushed and outnumbered in a flaming building. Proceeeds to knock three brutes out the window, and beats the snot out of one midair while falling to the ground.
ronBunxious
YouEnEffYouEn_XP
Toronto, ON
Post #: 584
A a GM recently, running ICONS as a fantasy engine: The PCs just rescued a bunch of townsfolk and amongs the rescued were the mothers of 2 of the PCs. We were just wrapping up and I was just fooling around and had the two moms tell embarrassng stories about the 2 PCs when they were kids. And then for some reason I made the two moms start to get competitive.

They began to argue and I guess I must have struck a chord with the 2 PCs b/c they started to defend their mom from the other's verbal attacks. Then the 2 PCs begin to argue with each other while the other 2 PCs sit there trying not to laugh. They begin too raise their voices at each other and I make the moms egg on their own child.

That's when both PCs turn to me and say simultaneously something to the extent of:"Mom stay out of this!"

They look at each other and after a moment of awkward silence we all burst out laughing. So wicked when PCs get caught up in their characters.

We only had one more session after that together but "Mom, you stay out of this!" was the catch phrase that session. XD
Dave
user 109371312
Medicine Hat, AB
Post #: 4
That … is fantastic!